DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Harry5150 said:
Has anyone used air bags on an 04-05 D?...........
I have not hit anything yet. LOL

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,101 Posts
How large of a trailer?? Generally a good weight distribution hitch will do the trick if the trailer isn't gargantuan. 4 years ago we towed a 5500 lb 27 ft with a Grand Cherokee w/ a weight distribution hitch and it was stable. I wouldn't tow over 30 ft or over 8K in a Durango because of braking and stability issues even with the airbags.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I've got a 5500lb travel trailer and with the weight distribution bars the D actually sits level. Tows much better than my 03 D did, which had the tendancy to sag in the rear.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
goathead75 said:
I've got a 5500lb travel trailer and with the weight distribution bars the D actually sits level. Tows much better than my 03 D did, which had the tendancy to sag in the rear.
Which load dist. system are you using and also, are you running a trailer brake?

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have the Reese setup that the dealer installed. I believe they are 600lb bars, but I'll check when I get home. I do have trailer brakes as well using a Tekonsha controller. If your D has the tow package, you should have the plug for the brake controller that you can just wire up and plug in.

·
Registered
758 Posts
It's what I thought, 600lb bars. I'm camping this weekend, if you want I can snap a picture to show you how it sits under load.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Okay, I'll fire some up this afternoon. If I have don't have time to upload them before I leave, I'll post them on Sunday. I have a Terry Dakota 829S. This is my second season and I've had good luck with it. Are you looking at getting a TT?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Here are the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! I just checked out the site for Springdale, nice looking floor plan! I like the way the seating area is set up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, just new to the forum.

I ordered my air bags on Monday.....

I have a 25ft Mallard Lite 25Z travel trailer....

The back end saged to much for me, bounced to much for me going down the road so I ordered them. There are two companies that I found make them currently for the Durango, the CoilRite brand by firestone and a set made by Airlift. I ordered the bags on-line for $98, also purchased the single guage and switch for inside the cab for $110, this price was much lower then anyone around the area with the exception of one 4x4 shop. I will post pics when I get them and put them in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
While the load distribution works great on my 24 foot travel trailer, the best thing I have done to improve the ride and the cushy (bouncy) ride is to upgrade the tires. My 04 Durango came with the stock Goodyears which only have 2 ply sidewalls. I went with BFG's All Terrains. So far the best money I have spent on my 04 Durango.

Hope this info helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Funny you should mention it.....the dealer I purchased my Durango from has this deal. If I bring it in to their service department for my regular service per the manual, in two years when my tires wear out they will replace them for free. Plus they are giving me 6 free oil changes...... We will see how the airbags do, there is just to much squat in the rear end for my taste....Thanks for the input though...I might just forget about the tire deal....depending on how much their oil changes are....it just might make more sense for me to do it myself and save the money and buy new tires when it is time.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello
:cool:
Just curious on what tire size you went with for the BFG all terrains. That will likely be our next change for the 2004 Durango. The OEM tires have 2 ply sidewalls, what about the BFG ?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I believe Topjeepster went with 265/70/17 BFG A/T's. I went with the same size. Here is the thread that has pics of my tires.

This size tire fits without lifting the front end any. Personally I found that the BFG A/T's filled the front wheelwell too much so I did a 1.5" torsion lift.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
DodgetheBullitt also has these tires and he swears by them. He's got pics of them too on his D. His are 285's though. :)

·
Registered
758 Posts
bbodyguy said:
Anyone buying a 29 foot TT had BETTER peruse this thread!
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/16270386.cfm
That's why you have to do your homework before you buy a trailer. Unfortunately there is a lot absolute junk on the market, especially with the ultralites. One of the reasons I went with a Fleetwood becuase the frame is still steel. When we were looking a few years back I remember being in a few of the models mentioned (Aerolite, Shamrock) and you could feel and see the flex in the camper when the salesman and I were on one and my wife was at the other. Knock on wood we've had our trailer coming up on our 3rd season now and it's as solid as the day we bought it. Personally, I wouldn't buy a trailer with an aluminum frame, even at 20' long. It just doesn't have the rigidity IMO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.