DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get my rockers Line-X'ed in a couple weeks and wanted to know if I need to remove the plastic trim off the doors. I asked the Line-X dealer and he was unsure. Has anyone had Line-X spray over the door trim. I am speaking of the black plastic that is a quarter the way up on the front and rear doors. It is the trim I circled in yellow. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
801 Posts
I have my rockers line-x'd, but I didn't have any trim like that. It's probably best to let them take it off b/c they have to sand and prep the area anyway before they spray it.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
I would take them off. No reason for them there with Line-X'd rockers.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree but it would look different plus I do not feel like removing them. He is going to spray it for me for $400 but I said I would remove the trim.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm not sure how well the line-x would stick to those, but if the guy doing it says it will then do whatever you like.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's it, he is not sure. He told me it will stick to the composite bed in the Honda Ridgeline but not the rail caps on GM trucks. It is a crap shoot. I guess I will pul them off. Darn more work that I do not have time for:(.

·
GetALittleMudOnTheTires
8,389 Posts
im getting mine done in the summer and im taking them off

·
Registered
226 Posts
I bet they are held on with 3m tape. Just pry them off and use an eraser wheel to get the residue off. Not much different than debadging.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Those that I've seen look better without the rubber bumpers across the rockers.

:imo

Attachments

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Dude, they are a cinch to take off. There is like a 1/8 wide strip of double side adhesive on the edges. Thats all that holds them on. When I pulled mine off all I did was heat one end up with a hairdryer and started pulling. Like 75% of the adhesive came off with the trim. Then I just used alcohol on a rag and the residue wiped right off.

·
SRTs wanna b like me
2,607 Posts
take them off. the line-x wont stick to em for long. i know a guy that did it to his chevy with the door trim on and the 3rd time he washed his truck the line-x came off with the dirt

·
Registered
481 Posts
Those that I've seen look better without the rubber bumpers across the rockers.

:imo
damn, that first truck looks awesome with line-x'd rockers. I got some rust happening under my truck(fixed it temporarily)..hoping it dosent spread to my rockers. Anybody got pics of white rams with black line x rockers?

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
I did mine myself. I used http://www.nonslipcoating.com/ . I rolled it/brushed it on. Total cost was under $200 for everything. I like it. It can be repaired by me if it ever rips/peels. Not as nice as a professional coating, but I just wanted it for stone chip paint protection. They wanted $1500 to do body color spray on by me.

Man, it was clean then, was'nt it ??? LOL :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I was looking at durabak... I liked their smooth sample they sent. What color did you use to match the Dodge red?

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
It'll look a lot better without the door spears. Get one end started and it'll pull right off. With the prep work they need to do for the doors, I wouldn't even bother trying to get all the glue that mighht stick to the doors off either.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. I guess I will pull the spears this weekend. I am going to use 3M wax and adhesive remover. Stuff works great. I used it to remove tank emblems off my bike.

·
2010 SRT8 Challenger
12,435 Posts
you probably should remove the fender flares and sell em to me as well :D

·
Banned
354 Posts
to remove the spears take some 10pd fishing line and start a sawing motion at one end ....no adhesive to remove all clean. i did this before works like a charm.
also i have heard that the rubber in the lin-x clings dirt and is a SOB to keep clean , i have chrome dee zee rocker covers but cant put them on till i have a 65 deg day. both should look good .

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
It's just like sawin' them old back legs off a hog. It ain't no different.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I was looking at durabak... I liked their smooth sample they sent. What color did you use to match the Dodge red?
I'm actually in the process of doing mine with the black durabak in smooth. I am almost done coating my rock rails and about to start on the rockers today. So far I really like the smooth. its been a looong time coming and if I ever get it finished I'll get some pics up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.