DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't remember reading anything about this, and I know it's an option on the trucks, but I was wondering whether the rear pumpkin on the Magnum RT's were a one wheel drive or a 2-wheel drive/limited slip/posi-traction (yes, I know that's a Chevy term-don't know DC term), etc. Definitely not sure what comes on an independent rear suspension.
Thanks
:}

·
Registered
40 Posts
Magnums have an open rear end, not a positraction. It's a little misleading to call it a one wheel drive because doing burnouts will spin both tires and normal driving delivers power to both wheels. Positraction comes into play in situations where the traction is different for each tire.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The traction control system uses the rear brake to divide the torque evenly between the rear tires. It does this by applying the brake to whichever wheel is turning faster than the other. If the ESP is "on" then the system cuts power to stop wheel spin.
If you pull the #17 fuse (which completely disables the ESP system) you will only spin the tire with less traction.
The "posi" has its limits. Try to do a donut on pavement and when the weight shifts to the outside tire the brakes cannot make up the difference in traction and the inside tire will spin freely and you will smell brake pads burning.
Try a donut in dirt and she'll go around like and old muscle car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Depends on what you mean by limited slip. If you mean limited slip differential-No!
If you mean there is some system to limit the slip of the tires- Yes!
Both rear wheels drive in an open differential until the torque applied exceeds the traction available to one of the tires. Then all torque is applied to the spinning wheel.

The brakes on these cars simulate a limited slip dif. It has an open differential.
An open differential will apply all the torque to the tire with the least amount of traction. If the traction is equal an open diff. will apply torque equally (spin both tire at the same speed).
Our cars use speed sensor on each wheel to tell if they are spinning at the same speed (with in some range). If they are not then the computer applies braking to the faster wheel to bring them back to the same speed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, sounds good. Mainly I was wondering if it was a high-performance rear diff, like is an option on the pick-ups, or a low buck rear, like what comes on the standard truck. Kind of wondering if I should look for upgraded gears or system somewhere down the road. I assume that if the stock HP is 340, it will probably handle much more HP safely. Never heard the term "open differential" and I ain't no mechanic, so that's probably where some of the confusion is coming from.
Thanks again for the info.
:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Good luck finding a rear-end replacement. We've been on the hunt for a while and it's come down to getting one off a wrecked SRT at this point.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I emailed Richmond gear, asking what it would take to develope a gear set for the Hemi Rear drive cars.
Doesn't hurt to ask.

I will do the same for all the gear makers. If you can think of any besides Richmond or strange let me know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Richmond gears responce,
Mr. Chamblee:

Thank you for your interest in Richmond Gear.

Cost of developing a "new gear" are influenced by the following:
1. The initial quantity ordered and the prospect of future sales. The minimum quantity for our facility is between 50-100 gear sets.
2. Engineering development; the amount of time required by our Engineering Department to develop the the gear. If a gear already exists, it is easier and requires less time for us to develop for our manufacturing process.
3. Manufacturing tooling costs: If we can use existing tooling, costs are reduced by $8,000-14,000.
4. Availability and type of steel: The cost will be less if we have forgings that we can use. The cost will be higher if we have to machine it out of bar stock.

We sell exclusively through Authorized Richmond Distributors. However, we will manufacture Purpose Built gears for an individual(s).

The next step would be to determine if you can purchase 50-100 gears sets. If so, we would need a sample of the ring and pinion (not necessarily the ration you want). We then determine if we can manufacture the gear and give you a price estimate. If you are interested, we will provide a formal price quotation. As with all Purpose Built gears, a 50% deposit is required with the order and the remainder prior to shipment of the gears.

Sincerely,

Winners Run RICHMOND!

Ronald F. Hix, National Sales Manager
Richmond Gear
1208 Old Norris Road
Liberty, SC 29657
864-843-9231
fax 864-843-2964
www.richmondgear.com

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmmmm I wonder if the minimum batch can have several different ratios? I'm thinking 3.21 would would make a good around town gear.
A good drag strip gear 3.90 to 4.10 with the stock tire hieght.
I'm guessing it might be difficult getting 50 orders together for the same ratio.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.