DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the build sheet in my glove box my R/T has limited slip, but it does not specify where. I would assume the rear only but did any of the front axle's have limited slip? The reason I ask is because I am going to be changing the fluids to Royal Purple synthetic and I need to know if the front axle requires a friction modifer or not. If they did not come with one is one available? I'd rather have 4 wheel drive than 3 wheel drive. Thanks

·
287 cu inches of pain
1,137 Posts
Nope, they are only in the rear. The front is an open diff. Not sure if the R/T is awd or pt 4x4, but unless you drive around in 4hi, you wouldn't be needing the front lsd. You can get them, but it would cost a lot to put one in.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The R/T is AWD only. The limited slip, anti spin as it is called was optional on all D's. It may have been std on the R/T but it is only in the rear.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
Front LSD is not advisable in a Durango. The front diff is not very strong, and lsd's and lockers do bad things to steering when up in the front axle. I would never recommend an LSD or locker (unless it is selectable) in a vehicle that is run on the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
They don't make a LSD or locker for a 2000+ Durango anyway so you would be short on luck.

·
287 cu inches of pain
1,137 Posts
Not factory, but you can get them for the Dana 35, which is the same thing as the 205mm front diff.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
2k2_AtlanticBlu said:
Nope, they are only in the rear. The front is an open diff. Not sure if the R/T is awd or pt 4x4, but unless you drive around in 4hi, you wouldn't be needing the front lsd. You can get them, but it would cost a lot to put one in.

Andrew
Durango R/T's are AWD with PT4WD capabilility but no 2WD.

Front LSD with that axle is like asking for trouble.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
DurangoBradZ28 said:
They don't make a LSD or locker for a 2000+ Durango anyway so you would be short on luck.
Not true. There are plenty of locker and lsd options for the 2000+ Durango rear diff.

There are no front LSD's or Lockers for any Durangos (other than the 98-99 with the Dana 35 front diff), however, using an LSD or locker in the front is a bad bad idea if you ever want to drive on pavement again - unless it is selectable like an ARB locker so you can engage and disengage the locker.

·
Registered
10 Posts
canyonD said:
Not true. There are plenty of locker and lsd options for the 2000+ Durango rear diff.

There are no front LSD's or Lockers for any Durangos (other than the 98-99 with the Dana 35 front diff), however, using an LSD or locker in the front is a bad bad idea if you ever want to drive on pavement again - unless it is selectable like an ARB locker so you can engage and disengage the locker.
My apologies I forgot to type "front", hence why I said 2000+.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i think my durango might have a limited slip in the front because whenever i drive it in 4wd on the street and i turn my front tires chirp and bounce. it feels like they are both traveling at the same speed. but it only does that in 4wd. i do have the trac-loc in the rear from the factory, but how can i tell if there is a front limited slip or locker? any one know of any companys that make any? and if its is 2wd then wouldnt the locker or limited slip be fine since its not tranfering power?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
There is no LSD in the front. If you have Part Time 4x4 YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO USE IT ON DRY PAVEMENT. In PT the center differential is locke and the front and rear wheels are trying to turn at the same speed. Only Full Time or AWD can be used on dry pavement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.