Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I noticed that what appears to be drainage holes along the bottom of the liftgate door are covered by clear plastic tape. I imagine this should be removed ASAP, correct?

DSM

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think they cover those hole to keep the dust out. they also ussually keep one hole open. Most carmakers used to have rubber plugs you could take out and put back in, but some are now using the clear plastic for some reason, but it is common. the hatch is a lot more watertight than a door so leaving the tape should not be a problem.

·
Registered
410 Posts
They are all taped. I beleive Viper is correct and it keeps dirt out. I don't think the holes are made for drainage.

BTW, Welcome to the site! :gr_patrio

·
Registered
365 Posts
Leave the tape on. (That came from my dealer.)

·
Registered
205 Posts
There was a thread about this somewhere and I can't find it now. I believe that these were determined NOT to be drainage hles but rather holes for blowing insulation/sound deadening material into the gate. removal is not recommended as water can get into the gateand damage the stuff that was sprayed into the gate plus some can come out as dust. I just wish I could find the thread now.

·
Mainiac
526 Posts
I remember the thread referenced earlier. Kinda. The drainage holes were only functional when the tailgate piece was dipped into something during the production process. Probably some kind of anti-rust stuff or primer or something. The tape is there on purpose and should be left there.

I take my car to the jet wash and blast the bejesus out of it with the water jet (from a decent distance :) ). I have yet to see so much as a spot of water on the wrong side of that clear tape.

·
Registered
403 Posts
i beleive you are right about the primer dipping . its epd or something . i know most manufactures are dipping instead of spraying due to the epa laws . this way they can use a better primer but get around the spray booth and epa laws.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.