DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
HEMI way or no way
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i know most of you guys don't replace the lifters with a cam swap. i have always read that it is wise to install NEW lifters with a new cam. i am considering this, since i have 32000 miles anyway.

what do you guys think? replacing the lifters costs 200 bucks for parts.....and i dont necesarily want to go through that if i dont have to....

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Well if your lifters fail after the cam install then I say YES you should have installed new lifters. Now if in fact they last a good long time after the cam swap, then my opinion is no....does that help any?

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
being as most cams now and days (last 15 yrs or so) are roller style with roller lifters its really un-necessary to change the lifters unless you really want to..........roller cams have less valvetrain wear due to the ramp design and the roller tips,meaning they can be re-used more often than you would think.

The old phrase of changing lifters with cams was more directed towards flat tappet cams where no rollers are used.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...and at 32k miles...thats hardly any wear at all...

·
HEMI way or no way
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, appreciate the inputs! i will go back to sleep now and bypass the lifter replacement.....

·
Finally a 5 speed
2,419 Posts
Yeah the old cams and lifters wore together over time. I would not think that the hydraulic roller lifters in our truck have worn much so far.

·
MrDestinE
664 Posts
Let us not forget the Roller cam is made of Billet Material as well and is much stronger than say a flat tappet camshaft where cam break-in is very important and the lifters are matched to a particular lobe after break-in. Roller Cams do not require same break-in and changing the lifters are not necessary. It might be advisable if you wanted a lifter that allowed for a higher RPM but I have not seen to where the Comp Lifters rev any higher. ( or that it matters due to our rev limiters anyway ).

TJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.