DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I need some help from you all that have lifted your 2500s...
I came up with the idea - and I think it may work well.

1) I need HEMI owners that have lifted your trucks, or going to lift them. To measure the length of your stock springs (no weight and with weight), lifting springs (no weight and with weight) and the weight of the front axle (go to a trucker stop scale and have them weight your front and rear independently)

you should have 6 numbers:

L1 (length - stock - unloaded)
L2 (length - stock - loaded)
L3 (length - lift - unloaded)
L4 (length - lift - loaded)
Wf (weight - front)
Wr (weight - rear)

2) CTD owners do the same. Well, I have the weight of the axles:
Wf = 4440
Wr = 2980

Here is my plan: Order a 6" lift designed for a HEMI and use it in my CTD, but add the 2" spacers so it will sit close to level, but give me a smooth ride like a 1500, I hope. I want these measurements so that I can do the calculations and have the spring constants, that way I can tell if it will sag too much, or what.

This might revolutionize lifting our 2500s!!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Stroke, given the same spring(rate), is the CTD that much heavier as to require the 2" spacers to keep it level using the Hemi springs?

And, I understand what you are doing here. But I haven't seen the benefit for a Hemi powered 2500. Or did I miss something?

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but I've done a TON of research on this subject in particular. I don't believe a 2500 will EVER ride as close to any IFS equipped truck - including a 1500. Two totally different animals.

Not trying to be the class dick, just making sure that the effort is used wisely... ;)

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The "dry" weight of the HPCR 24V Cummins Turbo Diesel is right at 1130 lbs. The "dry" weight does not include fluids (coolant, engine oil, etc).
Greg

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
i think it would ride too soft. i think the ride would feel like a cars ride that needs new shocks. get springs with the correct spring rate for the diesel, just try and find progressive coils

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of ride you are looking for 2-stroke.

One of the major factors in deciding to get the 2500 was the fact that I couldn't stand the ride of my 1500 any longer. Maybe it was because it was older ('03), but my 1500 was just too bouncy, and not very controlled. I replaced the stock shocks to Rancho 9000's and it didn't make a big enough difference to me. While driving on the freeway, the expansion joints jostled my truck so much that I could barely hold a cup of coffee without spilling it.

The 2500 on the other hand is a bit firmer, but a much more solid ride in my opinion. I don't know how much of a factor each item is (solid axle vs ifs, Coil vs torsion bars, weight, etc), but I know I like the ride in my new 2500 MUCH better than my 1500. Maybe it was just my truck, but that is my experience none-the-less.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
the coils for the hemi have a way lower rate then the ctd ones, i remember when we lifted a 6.0ford, they sent us the wrong springs, the ones for the gas truck, and the front leaf pack in the morning were sitting on the bump stops.

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont know what is going to happen, that why I want to perform the calculations to determine the spring rate exactly. using Hooke's Law, F=kx - I will tell you how much the CTD will sag with the Hemi Spring. Its worth a try.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
then let us know. i just think it would be a bouncy ride and yuo may even go through shocks like awter goes through you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.