DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a 5inch skyjacker class one lift for my 2001 dodge ram 1500. I also ordered 2inch coil spacers for the front and a add a leaf for the rear to even it out. In the lift kit does it come with extended brake lines and if it does, would it fit with a total of 7inch? And also, what would you have to do about the driveshafts. Would you have to buy new driveshafts or does the kit come with drive line spacers?
Thanks

·
Ram x2
398 Posts
I just put this same kit on mine Sunday. I do not have 2" spacers though.

No the kit does not come with longer brake lines, it comes with brackets to extend the brake line mounts that are on the axle at the lower control arm pockets. I would think getting some longer brake lines or making some brake line mount extension where the line is bolted to the frame would be necessary for the additional two inches, but I don't know for sure.

You don't have to do anything with the driveshafts at 5", I don't know if the extra 2" makes that much of a difference either. In the rear, the kit comes with degree shims to rotate your pinion upward to compensate for the lift, but thats about it, there are no spacers for the driveshafts with the 5" kit.

I think to have the extra 2", an adjustable front trackbar would be required too. The trackbar relocate bracket for the SJ kit is beefy, but it is designed for a 5" lift, not a 7". Also, it seems like most guys are running the exteme drop pitman arm with 7" of lift, so there is some more exspense to think about.

So far I love the kit! It rides great and provides ample room for 35" tires, maybe 37's. I'm sure with the extra 2" you could run 37's easily.

Good luck, but plan on a whole day for the install, there is some drilling involved and having a right angle drill came in real handy too FWIW.
Bill

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Good info nhlbill.

I'm running a 5" lift (Rough Country) plus a 3" coil spacer. On the brake lines, I simply rotated the bracket that is just below the upper control arm up ever so much to give me a few extra inches. I haven't had any issues with the brake lines as of yet. However, when I get my long arms in, I'll be doing new lines at the same time. The website I'm ordering them from is down right now, but you can check them out whenver it comes back up. Here's the link: http://www.xtremecrawlers.com/

In regards to the driveshaft.... I had some SERIOUS binding going on, as well as a hell of a front pinion angle issue. My kit came with adjustable arms, upper and lower, so I was able to adjust accordingly. Zero issues since then. No, I did NOT have to notch the cross memeber. No, I don't use an indexing ring.... but will once I get the long arms and 7" coils. It's a LOT cheaper than a custom front drive shaft.

If it was my truck, I wouldn't even bother with the trac bar bracket that comes with the kit. Throw it away and make sure you don't drill into where it mounts. Go spend the money and get a Thuren trac bar (about $300 to your door). You'll never have to worry about your trac bar again. The thing's beefy as hell.

I'm still running the stock pitman arm. Works fer me. The RC kit I got came with a new pitman arm, but it was the EXACT same size and length as my stock unit.... maybe it's because I have the Off Road package....? I've never heard of a different pitman arm on Off Road's though. Weird. I don't see where a extreem drop arm would hurt anything.... you just may not NEED it.

37's will look great with that set up. May rub just a bit at full lock / compression, but it shouldn't be too bad. I've got a 3" body lift as well.... 37's look goofy small with that much lift (but that's being taken care of).

Good luck with the install! Let us know how it goes!!!

·
Ram x2
398 Posts
01_OffRoad said:
Good info nhlbill.

I'm still running the stock pitman arm. Works fer me. The RC kit I got came with a new pitman arm, but it was the EXACT same size and length as my stock unit.... maybe it's because I have the Off Road package....? I've never heard of a different pitman arm on Off Road's though. Weird.
Are you sure your pitman arm that came with your kit was not designed to reverse the mounting position of the drag link end?

I don't know about your RC lift because I have not seen one personally, but the Skyjacker pitman arm that comes with the 5" kit has the same drop as the stock one too. The difference is that the taper for the tie rod end on the end of the drag link is designed to mount the drag link at the bottom of the pitman arm instead of the top like stock. Thats where they get their "Drop" from with the SJ kit anyway.

The track bar drop bracket for the SJ kit is one healthy peice of metal. It mounts to the stock cast location and to the cross member. The hole in the cross member is already there from a brake line clamp screw. You just have to drill it out to 1/2" and make it come through the other side. I don't see it weakening the cross member at all. Then if you want to upgrade to the Thuren Track bar later (Which is an upgrade for sure) when you have more money, it would be an easy switch.

The SJ track bar drop bracket allows you to retain your stock track bar and centers the axle perfectly for the 5" kit, but I would think your 7" plans would wind up with the axle slightly off center. I totally agree that upgrading the trackbar is the way to go in the long run, but if your tight on money, the SJ drop that comes with the kit will definetely work for a while.

The Thuren mount has to be welded to the crossmember (which some might debate that it weakens the crossmember more than the 1/2" hole from the SJ drop, but I'm not going there). I want the Thuren TB too!!!!!

Good luck from me too, and post up some pics and results when you get it done.
Bill

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
Bill, great info on the drop pitman arm. I just ordered one via a shop that is doing some work on my truck (which is also the Off Road) and I wonder if it will be this reverse taper you refer to. I have 2" spacers on my truck and I need the drop pitman, as my draglink is not currently parallel to my Thuren Track Bar. I know I am getting some bump steer induced by this, hence the drop pitman.

Clay, when my truck was in the shop last week getting the new steering box, there was an '01 Ram 4x4 right next to it on the lift. I took the opportunity to measure the pitman arm on it and then measured mine, they were the same. I had heard that our Off Road models had a dropped pitman, but I think that is wrong.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Great.... site burped. I just lost the 5 minutes worth of reply I posted.... Not doing that again.

Dave, I need to check my pitman arm. I remember braking 3 pitman arm pullers to get the damned stock unit off. Now I can't remember if I ever got it off and installed the RC unit or not. Either way, I need to check it and see what's goign on. Ya'll got me scratchin my head. Oh, and the Off Roads have a different steering ratio. Supposed to help you out on slow speed trails.

nhlbill - good to hear that the SJ unit's beefy. I was more concerned about the axle being shifted. Figured if he was blowing the money on a lift, tires, etc, another $300 couldn't hurt THAT bad. lol.

·
2,032 Posts
Well, my truck is at the shop right now getting the dropped pitman and new draglink end joint installed. I saw the dropped pitman last night when I dropped off the truck and it looks the same as stock, it is a Rough Country unit for a 2" drop and it has the reversed taper just like Bill said.

·
2,032 Posts
I have a valuable lesson learned about the RC drop pitman arm and a replacement Moog draglink endjoint. They don't fit each other...

Seriously, the shop just called me. They had ordered a replacement end joint for the drag link, it has a shaft that is 7/8" shorter than the factory end joint, the RC pitman arm is 1/8" thicker than the factory arm. So combined the shaft does not have enough length to get the castle nut on and install a cotter pin....BUMMER.

So they are trying to locate another Moog joint with a longer shaft....if they can't find one then the stealer has one for $135....the Moog part is $55.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Love the stealership! Did they at least use Vasaline?

·
2,032 Posts
Uhmmm, NO. :WHT:

·
Ram x2
398 Posts
Davcruz said:
I have a valuable lesson learned about the RC drop pitman arm and a replacement Moog draglink endjoint. They don't fit each other...
That sucks! :mad:

I did not run into that problem with the SJ pitman. I would have been pissed for sure. I hope they get it all worked out for you.

I have a cheapy Autozone pitman arm puller and I was worried about whether it was up to the challange. So I soaked the pitman arm/steering box shaft with Liquid Wrench the night before. It came right off. I would highly recommend any time your changing a pitman arm to soak it the night before with PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench.

Good luck Dave! If your like me, you will like your new lift for about a week and then you will be thinking about going bigger.......lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.