DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here to DT, and glad to have stumbled upon the site.

I just picked up (leased) a new "Night Runner" (4x4) QC two weeks ago and I'd like to eventually add a bigger tire. Maybe one or two sizes up, however I want to keep the same ratio of fenderwell clearance as stock. I'm not interested in "filling the well". So my question is...How could I achieve say a 2" lift in the easiest manner, front and rear. I like the stock rake of the truck and don't really want to level it out. I also love the ride quality that these new trucks have, as compared to my old 97' SST 2wd, would that decrease dramatically?

By the way I'm looking for a tire along the lines of the Nitto 420S

Thanks for your help. :D

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
you could do a 2 inch leveling kit ( but that would level it) and then add a 1.5 inch block in the rear ( to get that stock rake look back)

than add 33s to keep the same wheel well appearance just my opinion but you will get lots of info and ideas/opinions

or you can do like a 3 or 4 inch lift ( not level but actual lift)kit that will do the same thing check my gallery for pics of my truck with 35s

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
actually, you'd have to run 35's, they come with 33's stock

are you sure you want to do this to a leased truck?

but anyway, pick you up a top gunz coil spacer kit for an 06/07 1500, and a 2" block or an add-a-leaf, and then a set of 35's and you'll get what you're looking for

·
2012 Texas Ram Express
4,220 Posts
you could go with a PA 3" body lift, thats what im goin with, goin into the shop for the lift 1st of November.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys. Am I sure? Not quite, but that's why I'm looking for the least labor intensive method, in case I have to put it back to stock height in a hurry for warranty work. .

You guys know how it is. Bring home a brand new truck, that already looks sweet, and the wheels start spinnin, smoke eminates from the ears. What can I do to make it better. :evillaugh :IDEA:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just checked on some prices, and for about $250 including shipping, I can lift it 2 inches for the 35's, and it looks pretty simple to do. One more question...Will my stock shocks still work with this set up?

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
2021 Big Horn
6,400 Posts
If you want to go up 2", but keep the stock rake you can do what I did.
I originally cranked my torsion bars to level the truck (raised front up 2.5"). Then I noticed every time I hauled a heavy load, the back end was sitting way lower than the front, and made other drivers very unhappy (headlights in the face ;)). So, then I added a SuperLift add-a-leaf. This brought the back end up 2.5" to the stock rake.
Here's a pic of my truck with stock tires (265-70-17), t-bar crank 2.5", and add-a-leaf. Click to make it big.

Now for me... I liked the look of the truck level. So I have since taken the add-a-leaf off, and put Ride Rite "ride control" air bags, on instead. Now I sit level when empty, and can air up to any pressure so I can sit level when loaded too.

I'm not sure, but I think you only have torsion bars if your truck is '02-'05 4X4. I believe the '06 went the Ford route and dropped them from the set-up. The T-bar crank can be done by you for free (I recommend an allignment though). The add-a-leaf can be bought for $66 at Summit Racing Equipment (I recommend new U-bolts). These too can be installed by you for free. Here's a link to the springs at Summit. http://store.summitracing.com/partd...908110+4294907804+4294846476+115&autoview=sku If you do the aal, you may want a friend to help as an extra set of hands, and you could also look up sherdep here on DT. He's done them before, and is VERY helpful. I actually have a spare set of NEW u-bolts for the aal. I bought 2 sets thinking I could sell a complete ready to install set of add-a-leafs on ebay. I was wrong, so I returned the extra set of springs, but it would have cost me too much in shipping to return the u-bolts. If you're interested I will sell them to you (or make an ebay listing if you prefer the safety of ebay) for $25 shipped.
If you opt for the alignment, and u-bolts, you will have just under $150, and a few hours of your time in the whole thing (98% of the time is spent on the aal).

WELCOME TO DODGETALK!!!!!! Good luck, and post some pics.

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
Personally on a leased I would not even touch the lift idea .. why waist your time and money on this if you are never gonna own it

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think it's not a bad idea if you're going to live with a vehicle for 3 years. So you're out of pocket $1k or so. Keep the stock rubber so you have new tires when you return the truck, or if you keep the truck after the lease you're ahead of the game with the lift.

I'm interested as my vehicle and situation is similar.

·
6,355 Posts
I agree with the part about keeping the stock rubber and rims and buying new rubber and rims in-case you decide to turn the truck in atleast you can either sell the better rims and tires or transfer to another truck. Another thought is what year is the truck 05 or 06 to figure out what the best lift idea would be for you .. am thinking 06 since you said nightrunner package? You can ask any question or if you need help on how to's so feel free to ask away I will give you as much assistance as possible.
if it is an 06 you can add the spacers for the coil springs to lift the front and rear add a leafs to the back if you want to keep it at stock angle or you can level the front out with the spacers as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Sherdep. It is an 06', and like you said I will "own" this truck for 3 years, (actually 27 months), and when I'm done with it, I'll have another new truck with no miles and another full warranty to lift with hopefully the same parts, or I'll ebay them and start over. I'm not doing this for off road purposes, I'm merely going to be a poser. I'm using the stock rims, as they are the smoked chrome edition and give the truck its unique look. I will be storing the tires for the end of the lease term, and the 35's will also be carried over to the new one. I think it's a pretty good idea myself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
srimay said:
Thanks Sherdep. It is an 06', and like you said I will "own" this truck for 3 years, (actually 27 months), and when I'm done with it, I'll have another new truck with no miles and another full warranty to lift with hopefully the same parts, or I'll ebay them and start over. I'm not doing this for off road purposes, I'm merely going to be a poser. I'm using the stock rims, as they are the smoked chrome edition and give the truck its unique look. I will be storing the tires for the end of the lease term, and the 35's will also be carried over to the new one. I think it's a pretty good idea myself.
Like I said, I am doing the exact same thing.....

2006 4x4, 2" lift with 35"s. Planning on having this done before mid oct.

Just need to know what tires I should go with and what lift parts I will need.

I do not mean to hijack your thread and apologize for the intrusion but seeing as I am in the same boat, what the hell.....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

·
6,355 Posts
srimay said:
me casa, su casa.
my house is your house.

I checked prices for the coil spacers and found a pair for $109 including shipping. That's about 60-100 bucks cheaper than a couple other places I saw.

http://hellbentsteel.com/dodge/dodge-lift-kit.html?adwords=Dodge-leveling-lift-kit

as far as the blocks, Stylin Concepts has Skyjackers in 2 inch for $50 plus shipping, bolts not included.
have seen alot of Blocks crumble and break or crack so I would suggest add a leafs of air bags or super springs or leave the back end stock and level the truck and put the 35" 's on. depending on what off roading you are gonna do ... All Terrains wont hurt your milage ....... Mud Grapplers like I have killed my gas mileage (10 Ply Tire) from 17 city and 20 highway to around 11 city and 13 highway now.

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
2021 Big Horn
6,400 Posts
sherdep said:
....... Mud Grapplers like I have killed my gas mileage (10 Ply Tire) from 17 city and 20 highway to around 11 city and 13 highway now.
OUCH!!!!!! Isn't that just a kick in the rear. :buttkick: Oh well, at least it looks good. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm going to give the Pirelli scorpion ATS a try. Got them in the 285/70/17 size and they will go on the truck on Friday. I will keep the stock tires and put them back on when I return the truck at the end of the lease.

I will put the two inch lift on the front to level the truck. After that we'll see what else I'll be doing.

Thanks for all your help, and thanks for letting me in your castle srimay!!

(Not to much Spanish up here in Canada.)

·
6,355 Posts
Shots said:
OUCH!!!!!! Isn't that just a kick in the rear. :buttkick: Oh well, at least it looks good. :)
Yea you could say it was more like a kick to the wallet ;) but since I have a company ttruck I only drive her for pleasure :D so the mileage doesnt bother me too much except when I go on a long trip then it hurts but atleast I will be driving in style LOL

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
2021 Big Horn
6,400 Posts
brady said:
I'm going to give the Pirelli scorpion ATS a try. Got them in the 285/70/17 size and they will go on the truck on Friday.........
That's the size I'm getting when I get new tires. So what do the Scorpion ATS's look like? Have any pics? So far I'm thinking Wrangler MT/r's but I've got some time to decide yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.