Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pffffttt...anyways

she drives the truck more than me

thing is, today my brother and i installed the Belltech drop shackles and re-installed the leaf clamps i had on two months ago (at which time the wife was fine with it)

combined drop i would say is 3" roughly after tonight after reclamping and shackles, sits basically perfectly level, i personally love the ride and look, wife...mmmm...not so much

also rides harsh, but no harsher than before when the stock shackles were there with all four clamps in place....but my wife is totally convinced we really did something different (because she has been driving it completely stock for two months and has forgotten how stiff it was before with all four clamps)

so now, to keep the peace, i need to figure out a way to get the same 3" without the clamps

so it's either remove the clamps and remove overload or remove clamps and remove middle leaf, or remove overload and middle leaf and clamps removed also

i want opinions from people who have had experience with any of these setups please

we dont do heavy hauling, so overloads should be good for 3/4" without issue, but will the middle leaf give me the other 1.0-1.25" of lowering? somehow i think not, but i see it could be possible with sag from weight being a QC...

help, i have basically until tomorrow afternoon to make a decision, my brother is in town with air compressor, impact, etc....all the tools we need to do what needs to be done, i just need input on what's best

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from looking at the Belltech 3" drop leafs, it looks like all they really are is the same spring pack design with the middle and overload removed....i think thats where i am headed with this, removing both, should soften it up and eliminate the need for clamps to get the same drop

·
Banned
4,819 Posts
I belive you will be happy with the overload pulled and the shackles on. Without the overload leaf pulled you will find that your springs will continue to settle.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
adamsredlines said:
You'll get more than 3" drop from the leafs....
do you mean from removing middle and overloads combined with shackles?

i took out the front set of clamps on the leafs and i think she'll be okay with that, so i think to make up for it i will just remove the overloads and stick with that, should be a happy medium

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, i think thats the plan, should get it done by tomorrow night

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
wen i took my overloads off...it now rides like a caddy...not firm an bouncy lik b4

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i still dont understand why people say it rides smoother with overloads removed....it seriously doesnt even really interact with the other leafs until a large load is applied...it makes no sense to me, i spent all night under the truck looking at it.....i'm not saying you guys are lying or anything...i am just saying, it doesnt make sense

just like my wife saying the truck riding much stiffer than before doesnt make sense when the only part that was re-added that would affect the ride at all was the same four clamps that were on it before.....i dunnoo??

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
the overloads do play a part (albeit a small one) when I go over bumps or dips... It rides way smoother then a stock setup..rode in my buds stock height qc and I felt like I was bein thrown all over the place....

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...my wife noticed the difference right away in the way it rides..before she thot she was ridin on a horse cuz i was throwin her everwhere...now she wants to take another long trip cuz its much softer now...

·
Banned
4,819 Posts
jamesnmandy said:
i still dont understand why people say it rides smoother with overloads removed....it seriously doesnt even really interact with the other leafs until a large load is applied...it makes no sense to me, i spent all night under the truck looking at it.....i'm not saying you guys are lying or anything...i am just saying, it doesnt make sense

just like my wife saying the truck riding much stiffer than before doesnt make sense when the only part that was re-added that would affect the ride at all was the same four clamps that were on it before.....i dunnoo??
With the overload removed the springs are able to flex more/easier thats were the smoother ride comes from.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im gonna find out for myself by tomorrow night probably, by this weekend sometime anyways...

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
If you removed middle leafs or middle/overload you would also have to worry about new rear shocks. they stockers won't be the right length at all. But the OL removal and shackles will have you sittin pretty.

KB

·
Registered
20 Posts
I say, Ditch the springs all together and just bag the truck. tell her she will be riding on air and wont feel the road, hehe. IMO, messin with the leafs is a PITB. I took leafs out of my little truck and it rode rough for a while then i got use to it. Good luck with your Wife.

·
Nathan Z.
376 Posts
I've got lowering shackles and the overloads out and new Monroe Reflex shocks and it doesn't ride very smooth at all. It really jiggles with every crack in the road. I don't mind it but the wife doesn't like it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Blklsted_chick said:
I say, Ditch the springs all together and just bag the truck. tell her she will be riding on air and wont feel the road, hehe. IMO, messin with the leafs is a PITB. I took leafs out of my little truck and it rode rough for a while then i got use to it. Good luck with your Wife.
yeah....you REALLY want to see her angry...have me spend $250+ on a air bag setup....then she'd flip :thatfunny you must be single

·
Project Kenpachi '07-
530 Posts
Or you could always swap out the wife and install a new one that appreciates lowered trucks :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.