DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Very Niiiice! :)
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 2x4 and i was thinking about putting on some 22's with lo pros but ive heard alot of compaints with the ride quality (very bumpy) so ive decided to go with 20's and a bigger tire... i REALLY like the look of the 35's but i dont wanna spend a ton to lift my truck to put them on, so im thinking of just leveling it with lift coils (or whatever i would need to raise it a couple of inches to match rear) and stick on the BIGGEST tire i can without rubbing on a 20" rim. Does anyone know what the biggest tire i can put on a leveled 2x4 with 20" rims (perferably 33's if they fit)? and does anyone have a pic with a 2x4 leveled with a beefy tire with 20's on it?

Like i said 35's would be ideal, but i think that would only work with the 4x4 guys unless i spend several hundred on a lift for the extra room

Thanks in advance all, i know youll come through for me, yall always have.

-David

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 275-60 R20s are 32.9 inches tall and don't rub at factory heights. I would level it by lowering the rear 2 inches instead of trying to lift the front, since the 20s will raise the truck anyway. You can do that for under $100 with a shackle change. The rub happens when you lower the fronts, the rears seem of clear okay.

·
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if i were going to put on 35's? would a lift be necessary?

Thx for the feedback!
-David

·
Rollin On 4:56's
1,828 Posts
schawks73 said:
Hey i have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 2x4 and i was thinking about putting on some 22's with lo pros but ive heard alot of compaints with the ride quality (very bumpy) so ive decided to go with 20's and a bigger tire... i REALLY like the look of the 35's but i dont wanna spend a ton to lift my truck to put them on, so im thinking of just leveling it with lift coils (or whatever i would need to raise it a couple of inches to match rear) and stick on the BIGGEST tire i can without rubbing on a 20" rim. Does anyone know what the biggest tire i can put on a leveled 2x4 with 20" rims (perferably 33's if they fit)? and does anyone have a pic with a 2x4 leveled with a beefy tire with 20's on it?

Like i said 35's would be ideal, but i think that would only work with the 4x4 guys unless i spend several hundred on a lift for the extra room

Thanks in advance all, i know youll come through for me, yall always have.

-David
I'm gettin 33/12.50/20 toyo mt's put on this friday. I got an 05/hemi/4x2. I'm gonna pay 1450 for all. I will post pics when it's done. My truck is leveled already. I'm up here in flagler cty.

Attachments

·
6.1 FTW
2,307 Posts
Ride isn't really noticably different from factory 20's to my current setup with 305-45-22 tires. They are the same overall size as stock.

·
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But i heard the sidwall is what makes the ride quality better/worse... the factory 20's have a 275/60 while your rollin on 305/45 sidewall...

well i believe that the 2nd number is the % of the first number in terms of the HEIGHT of the sidewall so 275x.60= 165mm sidewall and the 305x.45= 137.25mm sidwall... which is a loss of almost 30mm or about 20% loss of sidewall...

anyway i also head that the stock 20's with the 275/60's are roughly 33" in high anyways... so it wont be that much of a difference in size between stock 20's and the 33x12.5... hmm guess i still got some thinking to do...

and also vengfulhemi that truck looks real similar to mine, how much did it cost to level it and did you raise the front or lower the back, and you paid 1450 for what... JUST the tires?!? or the rims/tires? or the tires and level? b/c you coulda gotten the nitto mud grapples (either 33 or 35) for just over 1100 on ebay and most online tire sites...

Thanks for the feedback all
-David

·
Rollin On 4:56's
1,828 Posts
schawks73 said:
But i heard the sidwall is what makes the ride quality better/worse... the factory 20's have a 275/60 while your rollin on 305/45 sidewall...

well i believe that the 2nd number is the % of the first number in terms of the HEIGHT of the sidewall so 275x.60= 165mm sidewall and the 305x.45= 137.25mm sidwall... which is a loss of almost 30mm or about 20% loss of sidewall...

anyway i also head that the stock 20's with the 275/60's are roughly 33" in high anyways... so it wont be that much of a difference in size between stock 20's and the 33x12.5... hmm guess i still got some thinking to do...

and also vengfulhemi that truck looks real similar to mine, how much did it cost to level it and did you raise the front or lower the back, and you paid 1450 for what... JUST the tires?!? or the rims/tires? or the tires and level? b/c you coulda gotten the nitto mud grapples (either 33 or 35) for just over 1100 on ebay and most online tire sites...

Thanks for the feedback all
-David
Got the 3" coil spacers for the front from http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/cart/PLCDGU3.html. Then had a shop here throw them in for $80 w/an alignment. Tires, mount, and balance will be 1450 all together w/the alignment. I ordered everything from a tire shop here(using the 20's on the truck,I think they look great). These toyo's are expensive, and I did some exhaustive searching online and cannot find anyone who carries these cheap, plus, ordering something like pricey tires like this online is risky in the event there is damage, or they send the wrong size(now you gotta go through the bu***it of shipping them back and waitin for the next batch). Going through a tire shop is cut and dry. Something wrong and you show up on their doorstep! The guy at my tire shop was real friendly and informative. I was kicking around the idea of 35's, but he said, yes, they would look auwsome on your hemi, but without at least a 3" body lift the bumpers will chew up the meats. and he said if the trucks still under warranty he would stay away from any lifts(except the spacers like I done, because the body or susp is not compromised)and wait till the warranty's up then go nuts if you want. Right after my warranty is done, i'm gunna lift the truck about 7-10 inches and through 36 or 37 mickey t's on it.

·
6.1 FTW
2,307 Posts
hawks you are correct about sidewall. I was worried about it before swapping also. I'm just saying the ride didn't really change noticably from what I could tell. Yes it is slightly "stiffer" but not enough to call a big difference. Anyway - thought I'd throw that out there for ya.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.