DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This truck is my first Diesel, I have noticed alot of other diesel truck owners let the truck running while filling up at the pump. Is this a standard practice, is there any benifit or safety hazards? Thanks

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
All I have to ask is what dose the sign say at the pump? something along the line of turn off motor while refueling.

Diesel may not flash fire like gas..............but any spark could set off a fire if the guy next to you is filling up with gas, be safe....turn it off

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
I usually don't turn mine off when I'm fueling. I don't care what the sign says! It only pertains to those unfortunate people driving gas powered vehicles!!! :evillaugh

·
Registered
518 Posts
You show me a Diesel Fuel that will Ignite with one little spark and I'll show you Ocean Front Property in Las Vegas. While Fuel will ignite if there is a sustained flame, or heat it must be 1.) Either sustained i.e. holding a torch to it, or 2.) Extreme heat, i.e. taking a direct hit from a mortar. While we do not allow smoking within 50 feet of any tank that is filled with fuel, it is just common practice and nowhere near as important around JP or Diesel as it is around Mogas. You can actually hold an open flame to Diesel and you will see a flame, but when you remove the flame, it will extinguish, unless you've held the flame there long enough for the fuel to ignite. I work with a Bulk Fuel Unit, I could tell you more about fuel then you ever wanted to know.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Saint said:
I could tell you more about fuel then you ever wanted to know.
Then tell me why diesel is the most expensive fuel out there right now :huh:
I do mobile service on trucks & trailers & drive a 04 stupid duty with the 6.0 & the price of diesel is killing me when it costs me around $100 a fill up & I have to fill up 2 or 3 times a week :VHOT: . It costs the oil companies nothing to make diesel since it's a byproduct from making regular gas, it's the left over $hit. I guess since personal trucks with diesel's are selling real good the oil barons decided to screw with the price of diesel & jack it up, I've seen diesel as high as $2.98 a gallon in Santa Fe Springs,Ca. Sorry about hijacking the thread :hijacked: If diesel was as flammable as gas, my old service truck would have burnt to the ground. The 7.3 powerjokes have a big plug on the ends of the heads for the high pressure fuel system & one of mine snapped off & the whole underside of the truck was saturated with about 15 gallons of diesel including the whole exhaust system.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I couldn't tell you about the price I have never paid for JP or Diesel, and that includes th 4 million+ gallons that I assisted in issuing during my six month tour in Iraq.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
we've done this with my buddys truck becase we ran the tank down to almost no diesel, so we kept it started so we wouldn't get air into the system and have problems, and my dad always keeps his semi started when hes filling up.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Some more Diesel Facts

Diesel (low sulphur Diesel Fuel #2) can have a flash point as low as 105 degrees F.

Flash point is the lowest temperature at which a liquid can form an ignitable mixture in air near the surface of the liquid. The lower the flash point, the easier it is to ignite the material.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
How many stations have diesel only? If the guy next to you is filling up with gas yourl could ignite it, it's rare but it happens, static can do it as well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My friend makes it and it works great and the snap-on trucks here in town are going in on a machine. The Idea would be to go in on the setup with a few people.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I love this part

"Biodiesel can be made from domestically produced, renewable oilseed crops such as hemp."

and "When burned in a diesel engine, biodiesel replaces the exhaust odor of petroleum diesel with the pleasant smell of hemp, popcorn or french fries."

Wonder if you get pulled over for the hemp smell.................or even better go get oil from Dunkin Donuts and have a trail of Police follow you cause it smells like Donuts......

·
Registered
477 Posts
safety issues aside, you go inside to pay,come out and the truck you left running is GONE!!!!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
six pak said:
safety issues aside, you go inside to pay,come out and the truck you left running is GONE!!!!
maybe back in 1980. I bet 90% of us pay at the pump.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The reason Diesel is more $$$$ is that it is not produced at a high quantity as mogas is, and it also has a higher tax on it than mogas, and the biggest reason is its also incorperated in home heating oil, the home heating oil season began early. With that roled all into one = higher Diesel. Just wait though there are alot of new Diesel fuel coming on the market such as Bio diesel and synthetic diesel extracted from coal, which should bring diesel back down to the cheapest again.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Son of Mr. Ed said:
Diesel (low sulphur Diesel Fuel #2) can have a flash point as low as 105 degrees F.
I'll believe that when a Fuel Farm either here on Pendleton, or on Twenty Nine Palms spontaneously ignites

·
Registered
229 Posts
Saint said:
I'll believe that when a Fuel Farm either here on Pendleton, or on Twenty Nine Palms spontaneously ignites
Look in an MSDS, and flash point is not the Autoignition Temperature. That temp is near 500 degrees F.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info...while it is true the flash point is just that, the point to where a product will flash but not sustain combustion. Plus, if you don't know it a lit cig will not ignite normal fuel (if you don't belive me try to light a small puddle of gas on the ground with just a cig, it ain't gonna happen). Now a lighter is a different subject (which is the reason why you can't smoke at gas stations). I don't think you could start a diesel fire without a blow tourch or without another fuel soure added in, but the biggest hazzard might be static electricity, becuase as the fuel flows it create static electricity, which is what causes most tanker fires (either mobile or fixed). Does anybody know how the static electricity would effect diesel or mogas any differently?

good discussion on bio-diesel, I would be careful before buying a kit, before you have the oil sources lined up...in denton, TX they just built the first bio-diesel plant and are getting the oils from grease joints all across the metroplex. Just a consideration, I am all for bio dielsel, and so are all the tree huggers, so as the industry takes off, big chain grease joints will start to contract out there used greased for a profit instead of giving it away...this is American

If the petro company's start to jump on this, it is my guess you will be paying for used grease in the future and not getting it for free

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.