DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm Scott and this is my first post. i'm rebuilding a 2.7 out of a 2002 intrepid that's been apart for 4 year's. My daughters step dad started the project and he's currently battling cancer and is too sick to finish it.
Question one, They bought a timing chain and gear set and when i was replacing the cam sprocket in the left head i noticed the timing notches for the cam sensor were different. I have red that there 2 sprockets, one is ngc timing with the 3 notches near the timing mark and the other is sbec timing. Long story short is that they have gotten 6 different head's for this motor and there 3 set's of cam's with it. How do i know what cam sprocket i need to install. The vin is an R and i'd rather install the correct cam sprocket while the engine is on the engine stand. I would think there is a way to ensure the cam sprocket matches the computer and the timing teeth in the flywheel (flexplate)?
Question two. While torquing the cam cap's down i noticed the motor then wouldn't bar over, (locked up). I loosened the cam cap's and now it does bar over. Come to find out with all the used head's that were bought that the cam cap's got mixed up. So i sorted them all out and there was only another set there and cleaned then up and lubed and installed them, Torqued them down and i HOPE it's ok. It seam's to bar over the same as when the cam cap's were when they were loose.
Any one try this guide stop block from this web site to prevent the timing chain slop? check this out by googling fix27engine Tks Scott

Tks Scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are pictures of the left cam sprocket's. The white line is the timing mark and i outlined the timing notches.
The sprocket with the 3 outlined timing notches is the one we took off the cam, But there were 3 cam's with all the pieces i got so it may not be the correct cam, and it's a NGC sprocket.
The sprocket with the 1 outlined timing notch is what is currently in the motor and it's a SBEC sprocket. Tks Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found this info on justanswer. any truth to it?
Check for the correct cam sprocket and flywheel for the vehicle. The flywheels have changed between SBEC and NGC equipped vehicles. SBEC equipped vehicles have 13 slots in the tone rings on their flywheels, while NGC equipped vehicles have 32 slots in the tone rings of their flywheels. 2.7L Left Cam Sprocket Assemblies can be identified by the following: SBEC equipped vehicles have a round stamped hole in the cam sprocket that is in line with the timing mark on the sprocket. NGC equipped vehicles have a triangular stamped hole in line with the timing mark

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
According to rockauto.com and shop.advanceautoparts.com yours is designed for the NGC.
S.A. Gear Part No. S-862 - DOHC; NGC (New Generation Controller - Target Wheel) Electro Magnetic Reader; Left
CLEVITE / PERFECT CIRCLE Part # S8003 Left Bank;Contains New Generation Controller (NGC) Style Target Wheel

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Counted the timing slot's on the flywheel and i got 32, So i have the wrong sprocket. Gonna check out one of the older gear's and see if the timing sprocket can be swapped. there 2 rivit's holding the timing sprocket to the timing gear and if swapped the 2 bolts that hold the gear to the cam will hold it it place good enough. Or i may need to get the new ncg gear. Tks StandOnCliff for your input. C-ya Scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sprocket was removed from one of the old cam gear's. So if i was in dire stright's i could swap them out. Ordered a new ngc sprocket today from Oriley (checkers) Will swap it out as soon as i get it. Also ordered a stop block for the primary tensioner from fix27engine (dotcom) for 24.99$, Cheap insurance. C-ya Scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finely got the car all together and now it has a code P0016. Hope i got the right info for the left cam sprocket and don't have to change it back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the latest update

In 2002 the Intrepid 2.7 changed the pcm to the newest design, NGC. The way to tell if it's NGC is to look at the PCM, it will be 1 part all by it's self.

2001 and earler are SBEC and the PCM will have a small box in front of it for the trans.

The above info i copyed from Justanswer is true as well.

Back to my problem with the code P0016. I tore down the front of the engine and after baring the engine over 32 turn"s i got the chain and mark's to all align up

U guessed it. I was 1 tooth off. Retimed it and put it all back together and the code is gone.

BTW My Daughter's step dad passed away a week ago. He will b looking down from heaven smiling seeing her driving the Intrepid.

Tks for all of your help. C-ya Scott

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Glad to hear you got it going. I'll always hand roll them over a few times to make sure the timing marks are still lined up. Avoids spending time tearing it back down.

My condolences to your daughter's family.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tks StandOnCliff

I wish a few turn's would check the timing mark's, It took over 32 turn's to realign them. almost easier to be carefull and back it up the few turns and roll it back up and check the alignment. That is as long as the chain won't jump the track rotating the engine back ward's. Tripple check and make dam sure it's right, I just missed it when i put the engine together on the engine stand.
C-ya Scott

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Basically however many turns it takes I'll align the crank on TDC and recheck the timing marks at least twice. For most that is hand turning the crank four revolutions. Having the spark plugs out makes it much easier to hand roll with a ratchet on the crank bolt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.