DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me first say that I'm not very mechanical...I'm learning as I go so be kind lol

I have a 2004 GC SXT that has a lot of rattling when driving on back roads but not so much on the highway. I've read where the sway bars are a culprit with this but last month, I just happen to notice when pushing the back end up and down that the noise was coming from the rear left and upon further investigation, I saw the bottom part of the left rear shock moving. After multiple tries to tighten it up, it wouldn't budge. When I finally got a good look at the where the screw is going into the hole, there appears to be more space on the outside where the screw goes in, allowing it to slide and cause the rattling noise. My question is, how can I fix this? When I'm on a back road (live in Tx), its really noticeable but when I get back on a highway, it smooths out. I haven't had time to take it to a garage and let a mechanic look at it. is this a common problem with the Grand Caravans? The right one looks fine and is tight.

Thanks...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Can you post a photo?

Checking online, it seems these are rubber-bushed with steel sleeves. The steel sleeves are longer than the eye of the shock absorber, so if your rubber bushing has gone away you would get this problem.

Should this be the case I would doubt you'd get out of it without replacing the shock absorbers (correct name = dampers) with new ones. I've seen it suggested that the top bolts be done up with Loc-Tite on the threads as they are prone to coming undone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts