DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 Ram 3500 5.9 diesel, i went to change the interior map and dome light to led for a little more light and the leds will not work. The original bulbs work fine but when i switch them i get nothing. Tried 2 different bulb brands too. Napa leds and autozone leds. Does anyone know what would cause this?

·
Registered
132 Posts
LEDs are polarity sensitive; if they're not lighting up at all, may be you need to swap the ends (if it's swappable).

I can think of a few other items (some vehicles need a CANBUS compatible LED; don't know if the 2004 RAM is that way or not.)

RwP

·
Registered
46 Posts
You might also need put in a 1/2 watt 300 ohm load resistor in series with each bulb. I had to on my 06 RAM since the switch on the lamp housing would turn them on and off but the switch on the dash didn't. Be careful not to let the resistors get too close to any plastic since they get real hot the the bulbs are lit.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You might also need put in a 1/2 watt 300 ohm load resistor in series with each bulb. I had to on my 06 RAM since the switch on the lamp housing would turn them on and off but the switch on the dash didn't. Be careful not to let the resistors get too close to any plastic since they get real hot the the bulbs are lit.
Well, yah. 300 ohms with 15V is .05 amps; .75 watts. NEEDS to be a 2W to keep it from getting too hot.

Actual current is less, actual voltage is less, but normal charging can be 14.something. Even at 12V exact, it'd be .04 amps, .48 watts - that 1/2 watt is in open air and at 50 or 60 C (over 140F).

RwP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts