DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Treasure Coast Mopar
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Old member, been out of touch for a while.

I've got a 2007 Dodge RAM 2500 Mega Cab with 5.9 Cummins Turbodiesel. It came with the towing package.

I want to install a CREE 22 inch LED light bar that advertises 1296w (129600 lm.).

In the harness that goes to the round plug in for a trailer I found the wire (yellow) that supplies power if you have backup lights on a trailer.

Does that have enough capacity to handle a led light bar without having to use a relay?

My options would be to either to use that wire as the power for the light bar --OR-- use it as the trigger for a relay and power it from the battery 12V source.

The easiest would be to use the backup light wire to power the led light bar but not sure if it will be too much of a draw for that circuit. Not sure the capacity of the towing package circuit.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Something is very fishy about the wattage rating you posted. 1296 watts is well over 100amps at 12 volts, I'm suspecting that the number is an equivalent wattage like they state for regular replacement light bulbs. For instance a 60 watt equivalent LED bulb draws around 9 watts more or less. My guess is you will need wiring that will handle 7 or 8 amps. However if you tap into that trailer wire and also tow a trailer you may be drawing around 15 maybe a little more amperage and could possibly blow a fuse. If your never going to pull a trailer I think you'll be OK using that line. The load will probably be about the same as what a trailer with backup lights would draw. If you could get the true amperage draw of the lights you would have a real number to use, but I suspect it's really in the neighborhood of 7 or 8 amps.

Mike

·
Treasure Coast Mopar
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. I have not yet received the light bar to get a more accurate load. I occasionally pull a flatbed car trailer that has just running lights, brake lights, turn signals, and electric brake.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If it isn't a large number of running lights, You'll probably be OK. Generally the safety factor built into vehicle lighting is the wires are capable of handling double the fuse rating (but not for extended periods of time) and the fuse is rated at double the expected load. For example an expected 10 amp load would generally have a 20 amp fuse on it, but sometimes they only put a 15 on it.

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
I personally would run the wire and install the relay if you're going to use a 22" light bar. They all typically draw around 10amps, and would probably work fine for the short amount of time it would likely be on, but I would still want to protect the factory wiring. You could look at a couple of smaller led lights for backup, that don't draw as much, just a thought... here is a website that has pretty good information:

http://lightbarreport.com/best-22-inch-led-light-bar-review/

Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.