DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, My tranny is leaking from the bellhousing and dripping on the exhaust every time I kill my truck. Marking my spot at every park I hit with a sams size coffee can puddle of tranny fluid. Anyways I am pulling the tranny myself to change the front pump seal on Wed the 26. From the post I have read on DT, Members are stating to change the pump bushing also. Is this a must?
and Is this easy for a do-it-yourselfer? More info on changing the pump bushing (How to) would be great if it is a must for me to do. Thanks.. :help:

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
If it leaks when it is sitting (not running) then it is probably the pump "O" ring. If you pull it out,I would change the pump bushing (034),front seal (070) and the pump "O" ring (311)and pump gasket.(310) in the attached pic.

To change the bushing,you really should use a bushing driver. (it has to be countersunk)

Grind the converter bolts one thread shorter also before reinstalling. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey tactransman, what if it is leaking when Driving and parked? I noticed my truck smoking pretty good when having to accelerate to get into traffic today (only smoked under hard acceleration). Should I still change all that you stated above?
Thanks man.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Yup,changing all the above fixes everything.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. The tranny is out of the truck. Man that is one heavy dude your all on your lonesome.. After removed from the truck It was evident that she is leaking from everywhere. Torque converter seal checked ok, leaking from Pump gasket which you can visually see where it is leaking from, Speedo unit, and possibly even the pan. Oh yea, I broke one of the fittings that support the transmission cooling lines (Dealership Item only). Some questions..

1. Any special tools required to removing the pump? Or just Jackbolts?
2. Any special precautions during this process? Assembly lubes, RTV's?
3. Can the pump be removed with the Tranny laying on its side?
4. Does the crankshaft sensor read from the flywheel that is welded to the torque converter or from the pressure plate attached to the crankshaft?
5. I was thinking of Changing the rear seal cause it would be stupid of me not to do this while it so exposed at this point in time, is it a one or two piece seal, does the oil pan have to be removed?
6. Finally, would it be a good idea to put a drain plug in the tranny pan so it could be changed every quarter or personal preference?

Sorry for the book of questions but havent found a work instruction on this one yet..
Thanks for all the help. I love my DODGE, Help me get her on the road again please.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
1. Any special tools required to removing the pump? Or just Jackbolts? Slide hammer works nice,3/8 coarse threads.

2. Any special precautions during this process? Assembly lubes, RTV's? No Silicone!

3. Can the pump be removed with the Tranny laying on its side? Carefully,better off standing it on it's tail so the drums don't drop out forward.

4. Does the crankshaft sensor read from the flywheel that is welded to the torque converter or from the pressure plate attached to the crankshaft? Flex plate attached to the crank.

5. I was thinking of Changing the rear seal cause it would be stupid of me not to do this while it so exposed at this point in time, is it a one or two piece seal, does the oil pan have to be removed? If it ain't leaking,don't mess with it.

6. Finally, would it be a good idea to put a drain plug in the tranny pan so it could be changed every quarter or personal preference? Drain plugs are nice,I don't like the kits you buy that have the nut that you tighten inside

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rear seal is leaking..
Is there a drain plug kit that dosen't have the nut that you tighten inside?
Thanks

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
hummmm...........out of all the magnum engined vehicles I have worked on (removing transmissions) I have never seen one leaking.
I make my own weld in drain plug kit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will reinspect it in the morning... Is it a one or two piece seal?

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
If I remember correctly,it is a one piece, but there is a ridge on the block that keeps you from just prying it out the back. I think you have to drop the oil pan and crank.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Service complete, test drove today, seems OK, no leaking sofar, Wed morning heading to work will be the true test. Glad to have her back on the road.... Thanks Tactransman and Heavy01 for all the help. :rck:

·
Pudge
297 Posts
You are lucky... my expirience like that cost me 2300$ for a new tranny... my tranny was pumping oil out the bellhousing and i towed it to a shop.. and it turns out my bushing went and it damaged the tranny oil pump and the pump wasnt getting any oil to the tranny so i cooked it

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, Maybe I am not so lucky now... I feel like the Domino effect has begun.
My Tranny leaks no longer. BUT!
Driving to work today and end of last week some trouble has began. Every morning I crank up my truck and let idle for few minutes before I load the boys and take them to school and off to work.. within a quarter mile or so from the house when I come to a stop at the four way, my motor bogs alittle and the truck kinda lunges forward and I really have to get on the brakes or pop it in neutral to stop this.. It seems to do more and more every day, not at high speeds but either at idle in gear or in drive sitting in traffic, sometimes when around 30mph gets hesitant and acts funny like dragging the motor down..
Could this be the torque converter??????????? or am I in for a rebuild?..

Thanks

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
1996RedRAM said:
Could this be the torque converter???????????
Thanks
Usually.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.