DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 98 minivan and i am leaking brake fluid very slowly.late summer i had to replace the master cylinder.i dont have no places on the driveway from the leak.would it be a certain wheel or any wheel.i have to add some about every month or so.i replaced the front brakes a few weeks ago and saw nothing but have not checked the back yet.would it be the bleeder vavles or the cylinder on each wheel? thanks

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I don't know how much fluid we're talking about here, but you should be aware that in a perfect system, the fluid will go down slowly as the brake pads wear.

If you think it is actually leaking and you've carefully looked over the whole system, one place that might be hard to find a small leak would be in the wheel cylinders (rear wheel drum brakes), since it would be inside the drum and the fluid could get burned up on the brake shoes.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have never had to add fluid ike this before.it is a small amount but i like the fluid levels to be full.i will have to make time to check the rear brakes in a few days.is it hard to take the drum cover off.i have tried to before and it would not thanks

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
It's not that hard once you figure it out-- you have to remove the little rubber cover on the backing plate, then reach in with a brake adjuster tool or screwdriver and turn the adjuster wheel to back off the brake shoes enough that the drum will come off. The shoes have to clear a ridge that builds up on the inside of the drums as the shoes wear into the drum.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
if you are leaking any fluid at all from the rear drums it will be very obvious once you pull off the drums

It is possible that the vacuum booster is pulling fluid from the master cylinder - But if you replaced the master cylinder, that might not be the likely culprit although I would not rule it out

check the steel lines - as they get old they can corrode and weep fluid

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.