DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been having a problem leaking small amounts of coolant into the engine bay for some time now. Well I finally had the chance to pin point the exact location; which is the water pump. Ive read before that some guys were having the same problem with there Rams. The temp. runs a LITTLE higher then normal. Therefore Ive come to the conclusion that the pump is fine. All I need is to stop the leak. Either with a new gasket or some radiator sealer. Either way is fine for me, but will I notice any cooling differences with the sealer? What do you guys think?

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Pump may not be fine. Are you sure it is not leaking from the weep hole? If it is then you need a new pump.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If it's running warmer than normal and leaking, I think you are at risk for being stranded in the very near future.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Look at the filler area of the bottle. Mine constantly does this. I think its that cheap yellow filler cap. It has a rubber solid seal right inside the cap. Under pressure with the overflow hose and cap, it seems to p1ss out of there. I think your water pump is fine. Most are suffering with this messy problem. I am going to mention it the next service call. I will start with that overflow filler cap first. A memeber posted some pics of his leaking bottle a few months back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey big boi, I think that hemi1569 may have hit the nail right on the head. The "weep hole" he's referring to is usually located adjacent to the water pump shaft bearing. It is put there on purpose and will allow water to drip or "weep" from it indicating to you that the bearing is failing, allowing water to pass by.

You said it was definately the water pump, so if you can see if it is leaking from what looks like a small hole. If it is, the pump must be replaced (possible warranty item). If not, you've got to find and fix the source before you get into more extensive repairs.

Steve

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See, this is why I love this site!

As far as the filler cap goes, I replaced it already with a better one. No problems from it at all. Ill check into the "weep" hole asap... It definetly sounds like you guys nailed it. Ill let ya know...

Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks for the info guys.
I had the same problem. Dumping coolant from the overflow tube and sprayig coolant all over the front of the truck. Bought a new radiator cap and the problem is fixed. You could see on the old cap that the rubber seal was shot. Thanks again.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Craig you should ask for the new updated bottle that comes on the '05-'06s. I had mine replaced and its ship shape so far. Its a combo unit with the coolant overflow and windshield wiper fluid connected onto one big piece now. I posted a thread on it in the int/ext forum a while back.

KB

·
Registered
25,358 Posts
KB112 said:
Craig you should ask for the new updated bottle that comes on the '05-'06s. I had mine replaced and its ship shape so far. Its a combo unit with the coolant overflow and windshield wiper fluid connected onto one big piece now. I posted a thread on it in the int/ext forum a while back.

KB
I went in a bitched about it leaking again and they told me im passed 36000 mile warranty and even though they had just replaced it it dont cover any further warranty past that poiunt so now it comes out of my pocket but thanks kenny I will look into how much it it

·
Registered
23,005 Posts

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
when i first had my truck, about 500 miles i looked under my hood and radiator fluid was everywhere. the water pump was faulty. it was leaking, picked up by the fan and spit back all over the engine bay. on the paperwork it said that the v6 and 4.7 use the same water pump. it may be a bad design or common problem with our water pumps

·
Registered
25,358 Posts
KB112 said:
Sometimes if you make a lil stink about it being a known issue they will do it. Especially since they have already replaced it a few times Craig. If they do it again insist that they only use the new bottle set-up. Mine is still looking fine and working great. I found my original thread, heres the link with part #s.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73789&highlight=radiator+overflow

KB
thanks bud I will be hitting them up for this seeing it is a repeat problem for me

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.