DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DASIII
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently switched to Mobile 1, 15,000 mile, Synthetic oil.
I was using AMSOIL and then Royal Purple, decided to give Mobile 1 a try.
So far so good.
I wanted to have more filter volume and media area. I measured various filters and found that the larger Fram Tough Guard TG8A would fit the 5.2 V8s in the 94 Dakota regular & extended cab trucks that I owned. It is a longer filter than the one that is called for in the filter fitment books or by MOPAR. Tough Guard filters are rated by Fram at 98-99 % effective. I now change the filter at between 3000-3500 miles depending on the color of the oil, I then top off with new oil and I am good to go. This seems to work for me, just thought I would share this with others. I am sure that your favorite filter comes in the same extended leangth as the Fram.
DASIII

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Ever think about going to a remote dual filter set up?

·
DASIII
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rusty:
Hey!!! I am an Old Dude & disabled. Some things just take longer.
Dual remote oil filter will go in with the new blue printed 5.9 block, Harlin Sharp 1.7-1 roller rockers, Huges super prepped over sized valve cast iron heads, custom ground UltraDyne cam, Fastman throttle body, teeny weenie shot of juice, narrowed Dakota RT rear end. Right now I am doing the door dings, scratches and rusted rear wheel wells so I can pain this thing. Did I mention that social security only goes so far, I living on dog food and water just to cover the costs of all of the above that's sitting in boxes on the garage floor. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find the right wine to go with Kibbles & Bits?
This 94 extended cab is my dailey driver so when we start the install of all of this Ca-Ca, it all has to go in, in a week end, so that I am not on foot come Monday.
More later when the medication kicks in.
DASIII

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
LOL, yea, trust me, I know about the limited funds and all....

Think of the remote duals as a 'pre-mock up' for the 5.9

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll throw a little personal bias in here and say that I DO NOT LIKE Fram filters. I think they are absolute junk. I've taken apart 6 major brand filters and Fram is the only one with hot melt glue holding the filter media to cardboard end caps. I truly apologize if anyones feelings are hurt by this statement but I did say personal bias.

More to the point is that I recently bought a Purolator PureOne filter of PH8A size for my 3.9 Dakota. It definitely fit but was soooooo close to the frame that I was afraid it might be damaged with engine rocking. Fortunately, this filter will fit the wifes 3.8 Ford minivan. The good news is that the filter that's supposed to be on the van is the same diameter as the peanut filter for the 3.9 but twice as long (PH8A lenght). I put one of those PureOne filters on instead. It clears the frame nicely. BTW, that is a 1996 Ford Windstar 3.8 in case you want to give this filter a try. My truck is a 1990 Dak.

God bless.

·
DASIII
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paulor1:
Thanks for the input, no hurt feelings on my part, we all are evolving and learning at different rates.
I am always open to suggestions, thats how I got on to the Fram Tough Guard series.
I was attracted by their % rate of filtration, which may or may not be accurate.
Based on your post I will try the Purolator One in the PH8A length at the next filter change.
I have not had a problem with damaged filters due to them hitting the frame, on my truck which I assume is exactly the same as all other 94-96 V6/V8 Dakotas, if my engine rocks enough to make the filter hit the frame, I need new motor mounts not a shorter filter. It would also seen logical that if the motor moves that much due to torque that the fan would be eating up the fan shroud.
Of course it may well be that some Dakota owners with 5 speeds do hard launches a lot of the time and that could be a problem if the mounts are broken or severely worn.
My truck has a street prepped 518
Mine by the way are brand new and I replaced them when I bought the truck a year ago in August.
The new blue printed 5.9 Nitrous motor will have either new rubber mount or solids when it is installed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I haven't looked up this year 5.2 but the older 318 and 360 called for a PH43 which is a shorty PH8A. The 3.9 calls for (if memory serves) a PH3614 which is short and small diameter.
The rocking I wasconcerned with was the movement backing up which rotates the filter up toward the frame. Hard orward launches should give additional filter clearance.

Right now the PureOne series filter is THE top rated filter available at general automotive stores. There may be one or two better, say, from Amsoil or others. I don't know. The PureOne may be the absolute best. Don't buy the Mobil 1 filter. It's almost as good as the P1 but twice the price. Why pay double for second best?

I recommend "the motor oil site" or "bobs the oil guy" sites. Great info. Have read virtually every word and am now somewhat of an expert on the subject of oil and filters. Keep in mind that an X is a has been and a spurt is a drip under pressure! LOL That's me all right.

If you would like some ideas for the 518 (overdive 727) trans I can help. Been a Mopar guy since 1978 - 1970 Superbee 440 6pack, 1969 Charger 440 Magnum, 1971 Pymouth Scamp [email protected] on 225 radials 3.23 posi 904 trans using only 1st and 2nd gear. Also built transmissions since 1982 and owned a shop for a couple years then worked for Transmission Specialties (xls Spragless Converters). The Torqueflite and its variants are my particular specialty, go figure!

God bless

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.