DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find a larger gas tank got my short bed dodge ram I am lookin to increse my 250 mile limit on one tank??

·
Registered
18 Posts
What do you have, the 26 gallon? I get over 300 miles with my hemi. Maybe you should do a tune-up first and raise your MPG. Although that may not work, I think those 5.9 normally get worse MPG than the hemi.

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
4,295 Posts

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
Had a friend with a 5.2 2nd Gen and boy was he PISSED! He got just as crappy mileage as the 5.9, but had the "little" motor. Single digit MPG was not unheard of.

He was about ready grab his heart when I showed up with my 3rd Gen and 4.7, then proceeded to improve mileage that was already way better, lol.....

A bigger tank will increase range. But I'd work real real hard at improving efficiency.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I have the 5.9 it only gets about 11.... but I think the only thing they make bigger tanks for are diesel... I guess I will just have to keep my eyes open I really dont want to loose any bed space..

Thanks for the replys

·
Registered
115 Posts
Don't know if it would help in your '02, but I know the '06's where offered with an optional 34 gallon tank. The long beds come with a 35 gallon tank, it probably wont work with a short bed but you might could make the 34 work since they were also on short beds.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have a 26 gallon tank and I get just about 400 miles to a tank which I guess equals out to 15 something mpg. A CAI and exhaust would help out with that a little bit and the other thing I found is driving the speed limit REALLY improves your gas mileage and it really doesn't take any longer to get where you're going.

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
4,295 Posts
rbreak said:
Don't know if it would help in your '02, but I know the '06's where offered with an optional 34 gallon tank. The long beds come with a 35 gallon tank, it probably wont work with a short bed but you might could make the 34 work since they were also on short beds.
your correct, you should just find a 35 gallon gas tank and put it up where the 26 is...

here go to makeitmopar.com and look up the fuel tanks for the 2002 the 35 gallon tank is $335.00

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
Thats right a 35 gallon tank will fit where a 26 gallon does in a quad cab.......I think it would be pushing it in a reg cab though........quad cabs have plenty of forward roon in front of the 26 gallon tanks which is where the extra capacity is on a 35 gallon tank.

Like everyone says your gas mileage will be the same BUT your mileage per tank will be greater,as well as your total gas bill per fill up........dont know if it would be worth it or not.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I run a duel fuel Ram petrol \ LPG I have a 200 ltr tank running across the back of the bed, it only encroaches 40cm & obviously fits under the tonneau. I also have had the existing petrol tank halved (12 gal) and another 100 ltr tank fitted behind it. I now have 300 ltrs ACTUAL fill on the LPG & a further 12 Gal of petrol. I hated keeping stopping to fill up these small LPG tanks

Martin :rck:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
i was wondering the same thing...i have a an 02 with a 360 and get 11mpg city but thats before the tune up...it WAS at 13-14 city before i had an oil change (went from 5w30 from the dealer to 10w30 which is recommended) i did a bunch of stuff recently like plugs, wires and stuff a nbigger tank would be nice...we'll see

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Transfer flow out of Chico Calif. They make fuel tank replacements for Dodge/Ford/Chevy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey thanks for that I will look at the 34 gallon tank... The tansfer flow only has diesel tanks I guess I could make it work but I dont want to loose bed space..

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
i have the 34 gallon tank in my truck, on the highway goin through conneticut along I-95 and doing 70 maby 75 in spots i can get almost 550-600 miles to a tank ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I looked into doing the 26 to 34 switch a couple years ago, the tank itself fits, but the sender unit has to be replaced too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.