DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for something else to drive to keep miles off my current trucks and to have a little fun with. Not sure what I'm gonna get. It's gonna be a 2WD/RWD car or truck. Can't do anything at the DMV right now, they're closed and I'm not sure when they'll reopen.

Anyways, I came across a couple of D150 reg. cab, short box pickups, a '84 and '87, both 318, auto's. I've always been a big inch small block guy. If I get one of the above trucks or one like it, I'd want to go 360 or 408 stroker.

So my question is, which engine would be better to build a 360 or a 408 stroker from, the LA 360 or the Magnum 360?

NYH1.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Those are both using the "elephant ears" mounts, so either will mount.

The Magnums are thinner castings than the LAs were, so you can't overbore as much (on Allpar, the folks who helped design it recommend sonic testing before going .030 over ... )

OTOH, even stock Magnum heads will breath better than any production Mopar LA head.

OTGH, you'll need to either redrill the heads to match a LA intake bolt pattern, or swap to LA pattern EQ or Edlebrock heads.

I'd go Magnum myself, but eh. They're cheap as dirt in the local yards.

RwP

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RalphP, thanks for the info.

NYH1.

·
Red Trucker
2,039 Posts
Those are both using the "elephant ears" mounts, so either will mount.

The Magnums are thinner castings than the LAs were, so you can't overbore as much (on Allpar, the folks who helped design it recommend sonic testing before going .030 over ... )

OTOH, even stock Magnum heads will breath better than any production Mopar LA head.

OTGH, you'll need to either redrill the heads to match a LA intake bolt pattern, or swap to LA pattern EQ or Edlebrock heads.

I'd go Magnum myself, but eh. They're cheap as dirt in the local yards.

RwP
Or use a carb Magnum intake manifold. There's millions of 360's waiting to be used, and 408's are easily had. Personally, a cammed 4G 392 hemi would do nicely, even a cam only a step above stock would put you at 500hp and counting, plus they are easily stroked to the magical 426 (Arrington even does 440 versions) and the engine itself is roughly the same size (of course the heads are bigger) as an LA or Magnum. There's even options, retrofit PCM controlling the entire engine, carb'd manifold with an ignition box for the coils or you can go full retro with a distributor:

Lots of options

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HemiLonestar, thanks for the info.

NYH1.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts