Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have not found many decent/helpful chevy forums so I will ask all of you. Is there an easy *read cheap and reliable* way to convert a vehicle from a kilometers per hour speedo to a mph one??? I have searched the web and found a whole buch of british crap and lots for jdm and motorcycles. The vehicle is Canadian and is a Chevy Silverado 2000, with a 4.3L vortec V-6. All help will be appreciated greatly. The only real options I have seen are calibrated dial face sets, electric in-line converters, and whole new gauge sets...

thanks

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
To drive a Canadian vehicle in the US, you'll have to probably do more than convert the speedo.

For general purposes, it's easy to do the conversion in your head. Multiply the kph by 6 and drop the last zero. Example, 50 kph x 6 = 300, drop the last 0 so it's roughly 30 mph.

Living in Germany with an American spec car, I have to do this on a daily basis for the speed limit signs. After a little while, it's just easy - you know what the common speeds are like second nature.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there are no regulations safety or emission standards between us and canadian vehicles. And i have no problems converting it in my head being a world traveler and spending a year in japan. I have spent roughly 2 months of every year in canada so the kmh/mph speedo is no problem for me. I was looking more along the lines of if we sell the truck here in the states it wont be as valuable with a kilo speedo unit. So thanks for your opinion but i would realy appreciate someone with technical knowledge.

·
Northeast DDRC Webmaster
1,176 Posts
How did you get the D in Germany? I've always found that interesting in looking at your info.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
There are lots of aftermarket guage face overlays. They do not cost that much.

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
daemon said:
there are no regulations safety or emission standards between us and canadian vehicles. And i have no problems converting it in my head being a world traveler and spending a year in japan. I have spent roughly 2 months of every year in canada so the kmh/mph speedo is no problem for me. I was looking more along the lines of if we sell the truck here in the states it wont be as valuable with a kilo speedo unit. So thanks for your opinion but i would realy appreciate someone with technical knowledge.
ok - hard to tell if your being a smarta$$ so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt :D . Sorry you didn't get answer you were looking for but you didn't tell the whole story.

I shipped my D over here using a private company, couple of German customs stamps and some US tags and I was good to go. I don't think it's that easy for Germans but for me, not hard, cost me about $1500.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.