DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did a rebuild on my 360 and the machine shop bored the cylinders too large. The forged piston manufacturer recommended a clearance of .005 and we ended up with .008. Slap city, even when the engine is fully warmed up. Sounds like my Cummins at a stop light. My machinist suggested knurling the pistons to take up the extra clearance, .003. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
495 Posts
iwould never do that, i would go to the next step up on the pistons and bore it out, can't belive that .003 would make that much noise!
CHRIS

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
We used to get the pistons and valve guides knurled years ago on an overhaul job. It worked pretty good,but wouldn't last as long as new parts properly clearanced. Think I'd have a heart to heart talk with the machinist. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
314 Posts
thicker gaskets?

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
Knurling was an old school trick that was used years ago. I wouldn't even think of doing it today. It would be considered a short term "band-aid" at best.

Sounds to me like your machine shop screwed up and they should be held responsible for their mistake. They probably gave the pistons "race" clearances with out reading your piston manufacturers recommendation. DO NOT let them just knurl your pistons to cover their asses. YOU will regret it later on down the road.

Two options here, go to the next available oversize which, depending on the year of your engine may or may not be possible, or two have custom pistons made. Either way your machinist is totally responsible for the cost and repair.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
And go ahead and keep posting here at DodgeTalk.com.

You are sure to have fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.