Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297085

Here's a little bit of an update on my cylinder heads. I thought the cylinder heads would be like the HO cams; by the time I got home the computer would have them figured out. At first I was little disappointed in the HO cams until they had been in the truck awhile; I’m finding the heads to be the same. I knew the true performance wouldn’t come to life until I had a good intake and exhaust system but I was hoping for a little more umff. And just like the HO cams the more time the heads spent in the truck the better they run. For the first week, I notice my wideband was running rich. I was sure that’s where my missing ponies were going; right out the tailpipe. I can’t give you any type of fuel mileage numbers right now because I love my “auto start” with my Clifford system; nothing kills your mileage like an engine that idling with the A/C on. I’ll get good fuel numbers this weekend when I drive to Houston for the Aeros and Auto 2010. I have noticed that my water temperature is down. I’m seeing the needle is lower buy three to five widths. My guess is the temperature is down about 25 to 30-degrees.

This week, I’m seeing the wideband lean-out a little and the performance going to the tires instead of the tailpipe. I should have learned with the HO cams that it’s not the miles but the number of on-and-off cycles with the engine. I was thinking my next mod would need to be something to help the engine utilize the heads to their best but now I’m thinking I’ll replace my rear bent rims. With good rims, I can run the rpm’s up into the fun level. I bumped the “fun petal” today and she felt great even with the 90-degree temp and high moisture levels. I believe I’m going to go by the tire shop and see if I can get some replacement rims and a set of tires so I can do a burn-out video. I think if I get the burn-out out of my system, I’ll be able drive save on your city streets.

I’ll update again when I have some good numbers.

:D

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Nice to hear Bro. How the heck did you bend both rims? Pot holes?

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice to hear Bro. How the heck did you bend both rims? Pot holes?
I have a 4x4 and use it ... :D

The tire store put both of the rims in the back where it would be a little safer for me to drive and up to about 85-mph she's OK.

·
Blown SOHC User
1,950 Posts
sct, 08 intake mani, jba shorties.... that thing would be a whole nother animal... :D

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
sct, 08 intake mani, jba shorties.... that thing would be a whole nother animal... :D
Yeah he definitely wants the 08' intake...he kept talking about that sucker! :D

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
... that's my shopping list!

08-09 Intake w/adparter plate
JBA Headers
Magnaflow Y-pipe
Bank's Monster Exhaust catback 3"-SI/SO
SCT Programmer and custom tune

... and because of the cool factor and I like to play in the water, I'm thinking I'll get the PW Gibson Snorkel.

:gr_patrio

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Yeah he definitely wants the 08' intake...he kept talking about that sucker! :D
I had one on my 4.7 and it ran 2 tenths quicker in the 1/8 from the manifold alone.

Now if I can only figure out how to reset my SKIM Module from lockdown, I can get the HEMI going.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had the truck out today and when I pulled up to the stop light it had a lope to the idle. Then someone next to me took notice of the truck, a DPS Officer, and I wasn't sure it was a good thing. Little brother was cops pull him over all the time and they just want to look at his Jeep. As the light turn green and my lane started to move faster, the only think I could think of was "please don't pull me over just to check out my truck". With everyday that goes by I'm enjoying this mod more and more.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yeah, the heads are awesome. Were they pricey, yes, were they worth it, absolutely every penny. They're the core of the top end. Anything to improve air flow through the engine will only make them perform that much better. I'm really excited to get the rest of my exhaust done and a ported TB. Only a month and a half left to wait! That'll only leave an '08 intake and headers for next year, and aside from cams, I think I'm done...with the top end anyway ;)

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
05.29.10 - New observations while I was driving around today:

- Each time I drove the truck, it was like the computer couldn’t make-up its mind what to do with the new airflow. One time the truck was driving rich on the wideband (WB) and the power felt flat on the bottom-end. The next time the WB was running right on the numbers and she felt like she had all kinds of new power. Although I haven’t gotten a CEL, it’s becoming apparent that these cylinder heads are more than the ECM’s programming can handle; I’m going to have to get a custom tune before I see the full benefit from these heads.

- As I slowed down for each stop sign and light, the computer held the rpm’s up around 900 until I was almost stopped. Then the transmission shoved the back of the truck down as it downshifted into first gear. Once the truck was in first gear, the rpm’s dropped to normal 600-rpm’s while the A/C is running. So for now, the fuel mileage really bites. In-between the confused computer, the new cylinder heads, and my auto-start system, I’m getting about seven miles per gallon right now here in town.

- I should be able to get good highway fuel numbers with WB numbers next weekend as I drive to Houston. I ordered a new set of rims to replace to bent rims in the back of the truck. I went ahead and got four rims instead of two so I can be doubly sure everything is straight and true. With the new rims, I can get a better idea what these heads are doing when I hit the higher speeds and the push the top-end of the engine. I also thinking this would be a good time to have the front-end check and have a front-end alignment done.

I’ll post pictures next week when the rims come in and I have a chance to get her all cleaned-up.

:rck:

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Headers might lean you up a bit.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Headers might lean you up a bit.
I'm sure the pushing and pulling the air though a straw isn't helping matters. That could be why the computer has the WB running a little rich from time-to-time. I too was thinking the header would be the next best choice but my fear is the headers will pull the inlet pulse out of the combustion chamber too fast. Before I did much more, I was going to talk with Travis since no one knows his cylinder heads better that he does. The money I just spent on rims was part of the money I was going to use for the “y” pipe, headers, and repairing my teeth. I was also thinking I might try a “hard dump” just to see if that might help settle the computer down a little but I don’t want to start from square one. I’ll see what she does in the morning before I start adding variables to the mix.

:)

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
I'm sure the pushing and pulling the air though a straw isn't helping matters. That could be why the computer has the WB running a little rich from time-to-time. I too was thinking the header would be the next best choice but my fear is the headers will pull the inlet pulse out of the combustion chamber too fast. Before I did much more, I was going to talk with Travis since no one knows his cylinder heads better that he does. The money I just spent on rims was part of the money I was going to use for the “y” pipe, headers, and repairing my teeth. I was also thinking I might try a “hard dump” just to see if that might help settle the computer down a little but I don’t want to start from square one. I’ll see what she does in the morning before I start adding variables to the mix.

:)
Man I really can't see how headers would hurt the head performance, if so then they need to change the design.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man I really can't see how headers would hurt the head performance, if so then they need to change the design.
I think you need a custom tune.
I'm getting to the point that I'm sure I need the SCT Programmer before I add anything else to the truck. I do not think the headers would hurt anything; maybe some lean spots. I still think the trip will answer some if not most of the questions about these heads.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well ... I finely had a little time today and pulled the spark plugs out of the stock cylinder heads. I numbered them as I removed them from the heads.

==============================================

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Them plugs are in bad shape for sure..
I forgot to include that the plugs were changed when Sam installed the HO cams. These plugs only have about 5K on them.

:ugh

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.