DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ya Its Got A Hemi
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody replaced the factory air filter with the KnN one? if so did ya notice any difference? also, i have been reading about alot of people having the caliber brain "flashed", how do i know if my caliber brain has been "flashed" or not and how much does it cost? one last thing, any idea how much a factory bumper cost with the fog lite holes?

·
Registered
13 Posts
K&N Replacement

Depend upon what you want to invest, and what you are looking for. There are various cold-air intake systems that will run $150-300 if you want the performance boost. However, being in the midwest, and since I commute, I prefer having the air box. My brother's has a cold air intake, and can't drive it in heavy rain as it sucks up water. :thatfunny
I replaced my stock paper filter with the K&N replacement filter ($35). The car breathes better and I noted about 1-2 mpg improvement, which I have fouind typical on my previous vehicles as well. Depends upon how well you are broken in also, I wouldn't change until you 've hit 15000 miles so the seals and engine is well seated.
I also use synthetic oil since I run a lot of miles, but I wouldn't swith on that until the first 10000 miles are up.
Hope that helps some.
-Dennis :gr_patrio

·
tupmeier
17 Posts
i replaced the regular filter with the k&n and the car sound a lot better and it fels like you having more power ,cheers thomas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello
I changed to this filter very early on, did not notice much increase in HP. Do find it a savings though when it comes to change of air filters. Could you tell me what you meant when saying "Brain Flashed" on your caliber. I have been told that the KnN filters cause computer errors, but have yet to see this occur. I have put 24,000 KM on with this in place. Challenging driving conditions and all. From 104F above to .55 below. Just Curious

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the smallest engine size of the Caliber, so maybe this is why I did not notice the change to HP. But still very happy with performance on Hi-Way. I normally set the cruise control to 130-140 km/hour and still maintain excellant gas milege and performance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Investment of $$$ not an issue. I think the car is worth a little change to increase power and performance. Although with the new caliber and the hi HP change, maybe just buy the newest model....I think it was in excess of 200 HP being put out now with the 6 speed manual transmission. Will be of interest for sure.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The referral to having the brain flashed is in reference to a
Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) #18-031-07 that was issued.
It applies to all Calibers made before June 2007 and has to do with
drivability and engine/transmission performance,essentially they
reprogram the the on board computer.
If your Caliber is giving you EPA estimates or better in mpg,not
stalling and is not noisey in engine operation plus made after
June 1,2007 you don't need to be concerned about it.
Foglights can be installed by the dealer as a kit,they do not replace
the front bumper only modify it to except the kit.
You can install K&N drop in replacement yourself or buy the K&N
Cold Air Induction kit for about $265.00,it will not suck water into
the engine-many Caliber owners use it.
At your milage you can switch to synthetic oil to give you
another marginal mpg increase,the largest percentage
of owners use Mobile 1,Royal Purple or Amsoil brands.
Yes if you want performance 4 cylinder and the looks of
the Caliber the SRT4 is the way to go,many of them are on the
road already 285 hp with 6 speed Getrag transmission
nice car thinking about one myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.