DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Finally a 5 speed
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overall I like my truck, but today I was kind of upset about it.

I am a technician at a place that installs Knapheide service bodies, flatbeds, and goosenecks mostly on GM 2500 and 3500 trucks. Today, I was putting a service body on a Dodge 1500 for the first time. I fabricated the hitch and welded it on and was about ready to mount the bed on it.

I jump in the truck, which was a 3.7L V6, and fired it up. Right away I noticed that it felt quite a bit smoother than my Hemi. Then, I gave it some gas to drive around to mount the bed and it felt like it had more power off idle than my truck. I know that Hemi's are lacking the the low end torque department, but the V6 felt more peppy I guess.

Is it our electronic throttle control crap that makes them feel so doggy down low? I dont know, its just like it doesn't have much throttle response. Keep in mind I know the Hemi will smoke a 3.7L, but I just liked the way the V6 felt from a stop. Im sure the 4.7L is the same way.

Anyway, I guess that was a pointless post, but have any of you ever noticed the same thing?

Joey

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Get a tuner and it will really make it more peppy, well at least it feels like it is with the increased throttle response.

·
Private Assasin
1,198 Posts
Being that I am a 4.7 owner, that would explain why I have never been overly impressed with the hemi off the line. They are good engines, but it took minimal mods for my friend to make true hemi torque with his 4.7L..and it'll hang with them in the 1/8th (a stock one, anyway).

·
pykie back country
439 Posts
i myself was not impressed with the power the hemi made, but hey , thats what mods are for!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a 2002 ram 1500 5.9l gasser 4x4 with 6" lift and 37" tires and my truck seems just as fast if not faster than a guy at my work that had a 2003 1500 4x4 hemi. He took me for a ride and punched it and I wasnt as suprised as I thought I would be seeing as how they have 100hp more.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I've noticed this too. I've driven both 3.7L and 4.7L Rams at the shop I work for and I've noticed the engines feel more connected to the throttle then my Hemi. When I hit the gas in my truck it seems like the computer takes it's sweet old time to get the engine going.

The hemi does pull alot harder once they actually decide to get going though :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I expect without the bed, the truck should be a lot lighter. Not surprising it felt peppier.

·
pykie back country
439 Posts
CUL8R said:
I expect without the bed, the truck should be a lot lighter. Not surprising it felt peppier.
a bed is less then 300lbs, thats like having 2 people in your car more, so really i dont think the box would affect the trucks acceleration

·
Too Loud? Too Bad!
194 Posts
I have a 4.7 and it has plenty of low-end torque. I love it. Im pretty sure the peak torque is at 3300 rpm and it feels peppy and all even with my lift. I know its not fast and most anything would smoke it but I love the low end thats all I need for now

·
Finally a 5 speed
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CUL8R said:
I agree that may have helped a little bit, but I am not talking about WOT acceleration. I just mean that the 3.7 seemed to respond quicker and better than my 5.7.

I am not knocking the Hemi, I like mine, but it has no power below 3000rpm where I need it the most. Sure, I love putting my foot in the firewall and feeling it start pulling at 3500rpm, but when I am just driving around town it would be nice to have the power down low. If we had more low end power, we would probably get better fuel economy both in the city and on the highway.

BTW, I had a Superchip Flashpaq but I sold it. My first one fried the PCM and I didnt want to chance it again.

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
if you want the low end power then gears are your choice ... the v6 is geared way diffrently then our trucks besides the superchips flashpaq will give it better throttle response but I can understand about being gun shy with another flashpaq .. the other thing to add ia a CAI ... it is louder when you floor it but it will alo give you better throttle response

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Throttle response is quicker because of a more agressive throttle lever ratio, makes the truck feel more responsive, but really it isn't.

·
Private Assasin
1,198 Posts
sherdep said:
if you want the low end power then gears are your choice ... the v6 is geared way diffrently then our trucks besides the superchips flashpaq will give it better throttle response but I can understand about being gun shy with another flashpaq .. the other thing to add ia a CAI ... it is louder when you floor it but it will alo give you better throttle response
Actually, the V6 Rams have the same transmission and I've only seen them out the door with 3.55s.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I dont care for the gearing in my 06 V-6 Ram. It is a 6 speed manual and came with 3.21 gears. I think I may put the 3.92 in it when I upgrade the 17" Stockers to some 20's.

·
Registered
227 Posts
stickshiftsrule said:
Be thankfull it's not an auto......LOL
I think you'll be happy with 3.92's.....I am.:)
LOL, love the screenname! I agree, an auto would be terrible. Honestly though, I enjoy driving my V-6 6 speed as much or maybe a little more then my Hemi Auto. Im now looking to increase the drivability of my V-6, hopefully gearing is the answer. Im looking to increase the acceleration and mileage slightly, do you think 3.92's will do the trick?

·
Private Assasin
1,198 Posts
SSR: 3.7L Rams get the same 545RFE..that, or my ex-GFs is an oddity.

In vehicles like the liberty and Nitro, the 3.7 gets backed by the 42RE.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I don't know about you guys but i didn't get my HEMI for speed. I got it for bragging rights. To be honest and no offense but if you got a 1500 ram and it's not a hemi, You lose

·
Registered
294 Posts
Tysoneous said:
I don't know about you guys but i didn't get my HEMI for speed. I got it for bragging rights. To be honest and no offense but if you got a 1500 ram and it's not a hemi, You lose
DAMN!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.