DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Kinda Newbie
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I used to have a black '97 Ram 1500 Sport Club Cab 4x4. I was quite active on another Mopar board back then. RAM MAN and Sun Ra Kat might remember me as WingedWarrior43 from there WAY back then, years ago. I got rid of my Ram 2 years ago and was less active on the boards even before that, because of a new job, moving, new baby, etc.
Anyway, I've always missed my Ram, I basically got rid of her due to high payments, and the gas mileage. Now I have a 30+ mpg car for every day, and I found a '96 Ram 1500 ext cab 4x4 that I can get for $3600. It has 144,000 miles. I'm getting out of the old car hobby (I tried to keep up with old Mopars, I have a '78 Chrysler Cordoba big block that I drove all of 900 miles last year, for sale cheap, shameless plug), I've decided I want a Ram for my second vehicle rather than a car that I'm afraid to drive in bad weather. There is only one major problem with the truck, but for the money I'm gonna buy it anyway and fix it up.
On to the problem: It runs good, but when you kick down the automatic for second or passing gear, it starts missing and sputtering. It just really bogs down and doesn't go anywhere. Runs fine during cruising speed in 3rd or 4th overdrive. My question: Could this be a symptom of the intake plenum gasket? Or is it more likely to be plugs/wires/fuel filter/pump? There was no check engine light.
Sorry so long, but I'm kinda excited/anxious to get back into a Ram.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
It sounds like it could be the coil breaking down.

·
Kinda Newbie
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to check a coil, or do I have to replace it?

·
Registered
553 Posts
mine did the same thing, i just replaced the plug wires, distributor, rotor, and plugs. it runs just like it should now :gr_patrio

good luck to you

·
Kinda Newbie
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good, sounds good. Thats what I was thinking of starting with, plugs, wires, cap, rotor.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
I agree...if the plugs and wires, etc. haven't been changed for a long time that's a good place to start.

·
Kinda Newbie
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Woohoo!!! :rck:
Bought the Ram this evening. Will have pics and description up in a day or 2. :D It does have a K&N drop in filter and dual exhaust.

·
Kinda Newbie
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Ram Man, long time no see.
Well, I drove it home, runs great til you get to a hill or try to kick down the tranny. I'm gonna try to start working on it this week. I didn't even register it yet, I'm trying to get it running right first, and also I'm trying to wait til the Cordoba is sold.

·
Kinda Newbie
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well....
Distributor, rotor, and plug wires were pretty much toasted. They appeared to be the originals, 144,000 miles on them. The plugs didn't look bad, they actually looked pretty new. Replacing all that didn't fix the problem though. I took it to a shop I trust. The catalytic converter is plugged. The guy I bought the truck from told me it was gutted. Well, either its not, or he didn't clean it out very good and pieces went back and plugged the muffler or pipe somewhere in a bend, who knows. I have to take the pipe off behind the cat and see whats going on in there. Strangely enough, I wondered why the truck was so quiet. It has dual exhaust with a "heart-throb" dual out muffler, at least thats what the guy I bought it from told me (I looked, can't tell what brand it is). It sounded barely louder than stock, which I guess makes sense if the cat is plugged. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with the exhaust yet. I guess it depends on where its plugged. I'm even toying with the idea of going single 3" out the stock location, if I can't save the system thats on it.

·
Kinda Newbie
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the truck back. I was gonna gut it myself, but I didn't have time to pull it off at the manifolds, etc. so I took it to my buddy's exhaust shop and had new cat put on. I kept the old one. Apparently the previous owner DID try to gut it. He gutted it alright, all but a grapefruit sized chunk of catalyst which flopped around in there and plugged the exit under accelleration. The truck now has some sound from the generic Heart Throb dual exhaust too, but I'll probably be changing that eventually. I picked it up yesterday, drove it 5 minutes and got a Check Engine Light. I took it to my other buddy with a scanner and he said front oxygen sensor. I looked this morning, and its not even plugged in. Its just a couple inches short. Is it OK to just splice in a couple inches of wire? Thats what I'm gonna try, because it looks really good on the outside, not like it spent 140,000+ miles on the truck. I ALMOST bought a new oxygen sensor last night, boy would I have been pissed. LOL

·
Kinda Newbie
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know I was looking around last night, looks like the $60-$70 range, give or take a few bucks.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
It won't hurt if you splice in a few inches of wire. Just make sure you have real good connections and use a bigger wire than what you are splicing into.

·
Kinda Newbie
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, 98QuadCabV10. I went back out this afternoon and played with it, and I actually got it to plug together. I had the battery unplugged for half an hour or so while I did it, took it for a good 20-30 mile ride and no check engine light.
Runs great now, but I do believe its time for a nice Magnaflow muffler to replace the HeartThrob muffler with 2.25" dual out pipes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.