DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well all that torque...and my tranny fails. Now I have plenty of options and upgrades that i'm going with now. Hopefully she'll be bullet-proof. Tranny failed this time due to my hughes 2k stall convertor letting go. the plates inside the TQ conv. let go and clogged my filter causing a chain reaction of failed parts like pump,clutch plates etc. She'll need a complete re-beuild to go through and clean impurities.

Heres the real question. What stall if any are the few of you out there with FI motors running?

Alot of people mistake a 2000 stall conv. and think it'll stall every time at 2000 RPMS when in reality it all depends on many factors, flow rate,CFM, powerband or cam, rear gear ratio, the amount of torque and horsepower. a 2500-3000 stall may stall our at 3000 with a 454 big block but a small block w/o all that torque will only stall at 2500.

with all that i'm still wondering becuase at this point it's kind of all experiment and it's getting expensive for me. I'm in search of the perfect stall (if needed) for daily driving habits and race.

If ya got any ideas throw 'em out there. So far i'm going with an upgraded valve body and recalibration kit ( up line pressure) upgraded clutch plates and more of them! An upgraded intermediate clutch pack all together it'll hold 2nd longer and has roughly 25% more clutch area over stock. And of course the real stinker a new TQ convertor yet to be decided for sure but i've already had a hughes so I may go with Protorque out of New York. their website is Protorque.com if anyone wants to check it or learn something but I have a weekend full of research to do and I need to decide by Monday. Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Where is my money tree?
793 Posts
is it cheaper to re-build with better components then to replace with a better transmission?

I know Got Hemi replaced his tranny with an aftermarket...when he killed his.

Ever thought about going aftermarket?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I havn't found that much for aftermarket transmissions. I'm going this route more so for the sheer fact my lil hot rod has been down for 9 months already and snow is basicly here and I need to put my bike away...AKA I need it ASAP. Aftermarket Vs. a re-build to my specs? Kind of hard to weigh out there. I'm putting in all the components I want and I know exactly what parts are going where. I'm even going with a TQ convertor brand i've never heard of due to the fact they are billet and 100% custom built to my application cam grind,CFM,boost lb, etc.. I know this trans will be good for well over 500 horse. I'm not there yet.....or am I? we'll see how long the trans last this time around =0)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.