DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 RAM 2500 Diesel. With my last 3 Dodge trucks I could stop at my kids daycare, leave the truck running, and use the second keyless fob to lock the doors while I go inside. This new 2007 RAM keyless entry works fine with the engine off, and also with engine on before I drive anywhere, but after driving somewhere they will not work until after I shut the engine off and restart it. Does anyone know if this is by design on if there's something weird with my keyless entry system?

I asked the dealer about it and got the deer-in-the-headlights look and no answer. I thought it might be related to the rooling-lock feature so I've had that disabled but it has not helped with the problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Do you have the remote start? I'll try to check mine latter today, I do have the remote start and I'm not sure they are the same unit.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
Mine won't lock via the remote if the engine is running.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have the remote start? I'll try to check mine latter today, I do have the remote start and I'm not sure they are the same unit.
I do not have the remote start or the alarm, only the keyless entry. I tested a little further yesterday. I started the motor and verified the 2nd keyless remote still worked. I put the truck in gear and it still worked. I rolled at idle speed about 10 feet and it still worked. I rolled about another 20 feet at idle and it no longer worked. I stopped the truck, put it in park, and shut off the motor and it still did not work. It would only function again after I removed the key from the ignition. Because of having to remove the key from the ignition I'm going to guess it must be by design. Anybody know if this can be changed through programminng?

·
bubba
1,563 Posts
if my truck is running and the drivers door is open, i cant lock it with either the remote or the switch. its prolly a failsafe, b/c the remote is on the key.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I can't do it either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an 06 2500 and I always am able to lock my doors with my 2nd fob. Do it all the time to warm up the truck up here. Mine is a stick though, maybe that is the difference?? Just guessing.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
I thought it was a protection thing, Chryslers won't lock with the keys in the ignition.

·
Sold the Hemi -05/17/2011
1,020 Posts
I use my key fob multiple times, it locks and unlocks with the truck running, even when the door is open. Never tried to lock and unlock while I'm driving though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am wanting to change this feature in mine too I hate not being able to lock/unlock after the truck has moved. if anyone has answers please share thanks

·
Registered
378 Posts
Mine does it too, and I agree it's a PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Totally ridiculous with a diesel in a cold climate.

I suppose it's supposed to be to prevent you from locking yourself out. Sorry Dodge engineers, but if I'm STUPID enough to do that, I deserve it. I don't need asenine "features" to bother me.

It won't lock via the power lock switch on the door either. On mine, this is with either door open, whether it's moved or not. Sooooo, you can't start it, lock it, and go back in the house to wait while it warms up.

Since it's the same once it's been moved, it won't let you use the fast idle to attempt to keep SOME heat in it when you're not in the vehicle and want the doors locked.

What I did to work around it, was since I'm single, reprogrammed the door locks so that only the driver's door unlocks when you hit unlock once and also when you open a door via the inside handle to get out, only that door unlocks, not all 4. That way the other 3 doors just stay locked all the time and you can lock that door via the manual lock when you get out.

Dealership told me that there is no way to enable it to get it to do what we want. GGRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

·
Gonna Make It. . .
858 Posts
Tried on mine, just for kicks. I've never noticed or thought to notice this before today.;D

When my truck is running, neither key fob works to lock or unlock the doors. Probably a safety feature.

Yinz guys with Diesels, aren't you plugging them in anyway? Heck, I was plugging in my gas truck when it was below 20F.;D

·
Registered
378 Posts
Some of us live in climates where it actually gets cold enough to NEED to plug in! For about 5 to 7 months of the year! But the block heater only warms it enough to get it started, not to build any heat.

The diesels make so little heat because of their huge cooling systems, it takes a LONG time to warm up. Sometimes they never do, and even then the trans and transfer case and axles are still at ambient, which may be 40 below or less. What some of us do is start the engine, and run it at fast idle in gear with the transfer case in neutral to warm them up. And even then, the diffs are so stiff, there are days it takes low range 4WD just to get it moving. It would be nice to have some kind of heaters on the diffs.

I've made trips where it took over an hour at highway speed for the temp guage to move at ALL, and another two hours before the cab was warm enough to take the snowmobile mitts off. One seven hour trip in -48°C it never did come up to normal operating temp.

BUT, and here's where the locking doors thing comes into play as the original post was talking about, when it's really cold, again, the cooling system is so bigg on them, that if you shut it off or even go down to a slow idle, you lose ALL your heat within minutes, and get to start all over. VERY frustrating! I don't idle mine for more than 10 minutes or so as a rule, and only on fast idle, 1200 or higher, but it's a PITA not to be able to use the power locks that you got charged for!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.