DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
Joined
·
25,280 Posts
How bad? If it's just a scrape... might be able to fix it with a lot of elbow gease. But if it's deep... then you're talking body repair.
 

·
Been HEMIphied
Joined
·
1,933 Posts
I had someone key my '99 GMC Sierra on the driver's side from the headlight to the taillight, right down to bare metal. I fixed it myself using the method outlined in the attached file. It was a lot of work, and I worked very carefully, but when I was done, only I knew there had been a scratch.
 

Attachments

·
An Army of One
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
I know a hit man that works real cheap!

Oh you meant get rid of the scratches!!! haha couldn't resist
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
That's one of the biggest fears anyone of us have when parking in a public lot. You can try and repair in the manner described in the link, but unfortunately if that doesn't work, it's a trip to the body shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
My daughter took a rock to the side of my Ram yesterday, after I just got done washing it. I spent about an hour buffing it out. some spots werent deep and are gone, other spots you have to really look to see them. Being that its my truck I know its there, the only way I am going to get over it is to have the body shop fix it.

Damn it, I was pissed, but its just a truck and she didnt know any better. She was trying to help. Now I have to explain to her that washing a car does not involve rocks.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,819 Posts
That really sucks about the key marks. Not really sure why pepole can not respect others property when i had my 96 TA some [email protected]!#%$&* idiot parked his late seventys chevy truck 3" from my door so i had to get in on the passangers side . I was a bit younger so i moved my car and punched out his tail lights and kicked the shy it out of his door panels now that i am older and have more patience just wait for them now and kick the shy it out of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
sethro said:
My daughter took a rock to the side of my Ram yesterday, after I just got done washing it. I spent about an hour buffing it out. some spots werent deep and are gone, other spots you have to really look to see them. Being that its my truck I know its there, the only way I am going to get over it is to have the body shop fix it.

Damn it, I was pissed, but its just a truck and she didnt know any better. She was trying to help. Now I have to explain to her that washing a car does not involve rocks.
Stone washing works for jeans.

Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
one short of said:
That really sucks about the key marks. Not really sure why pepole can not respect others property when i had my 96 TA some [email protected]!#%$&* idiot parked his late seventys chevy truck 3" from my door so i had to get in on the passangers side . I was a bit younger so i moved my car and punched out his tail lights and kicked the shy it out of his door panels now that i am older and have more patience just wait for them now and kick the shy it out of them.
now thats the way to do things :rck:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Yea, I like Oneshortof way of thinking, except I couldnt very well kick the sh!t out of own daughter.

I used some Meguars Cleaner Wax and buffed it with my auto buffer and it took it out a little. Is there a better was out there that would do the job. I am thinking if I cant get it out in the next day or so, to call my insurance agent and have him repair it for me, my det. is only $250.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,819 Posts
sethro said:
Yea, I like Oneshortof way of thinking, except I couldnt very well kick the sh!t out of own daughter.

I used some Meguars Cleaner Wax and buffed it with my auto buffer and it took it out a little. Is there a better was out there that would do the job. I am thinking if I cant get it out in the next day or so, to call my insurance agent and have him repair it for me, my det. is only $250.
I would do it out of pocket because when next years insurance rates come around your going to flip out all over again.

Just a thought you ever been to a dealer and they got some guy touching up the paint on some trade they just got in. Get one of those guys to fix it if the scratch isn’t too bad some of them can work wonders on paint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
I have a few family members in the auto body business... I'll give them a hollar and see what buffing ideas they can throw at me.

Yea, I talked to my insurance agent and he said fix it, cause he wouldnt want to dick me come Jan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
well my cuz didnt give me any GOOD advice.

Is there a "grittier" wax than the Megiuars Cleaner Wax I used that might clean the marks up a bit better? The hour I spend took a good part of the mark out, but there are two 1ft sections that are still pretty noticable.

I thought about getting that color wax or touchup paint and then buffing and then polishing, but I would rather look at a little scratch than a section of body that is two different colors or something that looks worse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
I did a search in the General-Body Work forums and found a post where a fellow Talker had a wicked scratch on his RAM and he used Zaino products, wet sanding and a little elbow grease and you cant even tell the scratch was there. Here is the link

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54672&highlight=scratch

I thought about trying it, my cuz in the autobody world mentioned this to me...but I didnt believe him until I read this....

Awww HELL!!!! Who am I kidding, I'll probably just leave and take it to the body shop and have it fixed right rather than F-ing with it.

thanks for the advice and opinions guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
I hope you figure out what you want to do with that scratch cuz i know that everytime i see one in my truck i get pissed and spend a couple of hours trying to fix mine...but hey....i still have to wetsand and buff my truck out since i got it painted so...i can get rid of mine...wetsanding and buffing would probably be your best bet....depending on how deep the scratch is...b4 my friends and i painted my truck we did this to some really bad scratches on my truck..and it turned out really well....as long as the scratch didn't go through the clear coat..you can wetsand and buff and pretty much hide them....or take a touch up paint(make sure it matches...) and carefully fill in the scratch....hopefully it'll have some clearcoat in it...and then let it dry for about a day just to be safe..and wetsand and buff it..and if the paint matched then you won't ever tell it was there...sorry for the long post..i fixed a paint chip on my truck like this....time consuming..and nerve racking...but you won't be pissed about a scratch anymore...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
I dont think the scratches that remain are deep, I just need to work it a bit more.

Yea, finding touch up paint that matches is the key. I had a Yellow Mazda MP3 last year and went to the dealer and got the touchup paint direct and the colors werent even close.

I'm over the fact the truck is scratched... now I am pacing back and forth on how to fix it.

What to do... What to do...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
I was at Autozone yesterda and saw the TurleWax Color Cure™ Car Polish in blue. I read it and it says it will work on all colors of blue.

Has anyone ever tried this product? How did it work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Hey sethro,

Just give them a Adam's clay bar and a bottle of detail spray. It won't hurt the paint just make it better.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top