DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Daytona Project
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading home this sunday on I-20 in Ga.,I merged in behind a Chevy and a new Ram running 90+.I fell in behind them quickly and they began to speed up.The ram moved over but the chevy was increasing to 100+,then the Ram fell in behind me.I knew the limit was about to kick in,so I figured I'd try the key trick I'd heard of.I waited for the perfect passing oppertunity,engaged the key partcially and floored it.I couldn't beleive how much and how fast I was able to pull away from them.It felt like there was no top end by how strong it was pulling.As I released the key,the engine went dead for about 5 seconds or so and at about 107 the engine went back to normal,I floored it agian and it would cut off untill I would engage the key.Got to figure a way to toogle switch this in just in case the need sould arrise.Before I knew of this,I had to back off at 100+.I'm not condoning this and I have upgraded the 20's to a higher speed rating,But I just couldn't pass up the oppertunity.Be Safe.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,674 Posts
For anyone that cares, I was talking to one of my friends that works at the dealership and their is a 100 mile window that your odometer must fall in to conjunction with the computer.

·
My coinholder adds 15 HP!
1,443 Posts
jdeana said:
what is the key trick?
Yea?????

hemi1569 said:
For anyone that cares, I was talking to one of my friends that works at the dealership and their is a 100 mile window that your odometer must fall in to conjunction with the computer.
What??? :huh:

·
Registered
989 Posts
by turning your key back slightly while in the run position(slowly turn it back you will feel it click and engage then you will hear a chime that means it worked). It will disengage your speed limiter in your truck. You can also hold the key in the start position while going and it will do the same thing. No worries on grinding your starter the truck has a safety and will not allow it. On top of disengaging your speed limiter it will also stop your odometer. On my truck i also loose my speedo and radio by doing the "key trick".

Stock tires are not rated for the speeds the truck is capable of reaching using the key trick. I had my truck going almost 140MPH which is way over the limits of the tires. I am not condoning speeding or racing so i don't want to hear any shit if something happens.

·
1,443 Posts
Why exactally do vehicle manufacturers include these little "hidden" features???

·
Registered
989 Posts
So we can beat fords...DUH!;)

·
1,443 Posts
Hemi5spd said:
So we can beat fords...DUH!;)
Of course....Don't I feel stupid :D

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Hemi5spd said:
by turning your key back slightly while in the run position(slowly turn it back you will feel it click and engage then you will hear a chime that means it worked). It will disengage your speed limiter in your truck. You can also hold the key in the start position while going and it will do the same thing. No worries on grinding your starter the truck has a safety and will not allow it. On top of disengaging your speed limiter it will also stop your odometer. On my truck i also loose my speedo and radio by doing the "key trick".

Stock tires are not rated for the speeds the truck is capable of reaching using the key trick. I had my truck going almost 140MPH which is way over the limits of the tires. I am not condoning speeding or racing so i don't want to hear any shit if something happens.
Will this not mess anything up with the computer, ect. I think I have heard stories of this messing up the truck's PCM pretty bad. Which also led to many questions from the dealer. Just wondering...

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
lucky8926 said:
Why exactally do vehicle manufacturers include these little "hidden" features???
firemen, policemen, other emergency personnel who use these vehicles as transportation and actually need to go that fast for a reason for he most part

·
Registered
175 Posts
Our trucks have a speed limiter? I had mine at 109 on Saturday and only slowed down because of traffic. What is the limit? My old F150 topped out at 100 you could feel the engine shutting down cylinders. It was very strange.

Dan

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
like 110 but with my hypertech i can go 128!!! Not that i ever go that fast.

BB

·
Victims arent we all
1,826 Posts
Hemi5spd said:

if u turn the forward like u were starting the truck it does the same thing, all it does is kill the computer and the engine stays on and u can finish off the pedal to the metal, dam i just reread this post and i just reposted his idea dam, oh well ,dont want to waste the typing :huh:

·
3rd RAM = 2012 2500 Mega
103 Posts
I tried this at lunch, just to see....

REMEMBER to put your truck in gear before you try! LOL otherwise it DOES make that horrible starter grind noise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.