DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get it, my Ram came with two sets of keys each set has the fancy electronic key and a standard key. I asked the dealer what the standard key was for and he said it was for locking the tailgate but if I open up the electronic key I can use the blade type key that is within the electronic one. So what is the standard blade type key for?

·
Registered
269 Posts
i keep mine in the house incase i lock the fob inside the truck, also if i locked my tailgate all the time, it would be easier to unlock it with that key than to pull the fob apart all the time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No Rambox. This key just seems redundant as you have a blade key built into the electronic key to open the door and tailgate. I guess I will remove them and just carry the electronic set.

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
If it was a car I would say it's a valet key, but on a truck I'm not sure. Just what exactly will it do or not do?

·
Registered
31,160 Posts
dealer told me last night it was for the valet - I asked him where it went to start the truck. :crazy:

yeah, its made for the tailgate - but, as mentioned - pull the enclosed key from the fob and you are set.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Mine are for my tailgate. There is a hidden key in the back of the remote key for the door. If your battery dies in the remote key you can use the hidden key to open the door and you can still run the truck with a dead remote.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Mine are for my tailgate. There is a hidden key in the back of the remote key for the door. If your battery dies in the remote key you can use the hidden key to open the door and you can still run the truck with a dead remote.
AND, if the trucks battery goes completely dead, you can use the key (Hidden or 'standard') to get in the cab to pop the hood,,,,

·
Registered
73 Posts
I feel stupid....I had no clue I had a reg key in my fob!! Dealer maybe should have told me this..(or maybe I'm just stupid)..since I did try to start the key with the "valet" key in the first one I test drove lol

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
I only got 2 fobs with internal keys... no other keys. *shrug* I don't seem them being of any use other than for the tailgate or open the driver door.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2010 2500 with power locks. I didn't get a remote or FOB with it, only 2 regular keys. I went in to purchase a remote entry and they told me I couldn't get one because it has to be factory install. Why is that? I'm sure I can buy aftermarket keyless remote, so why can't dealer install one for me?
Thanks in advance.
Glenn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.