DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ppl at my school have told me about how they have put headers on there trucks and they have to tighted them about once a week. if that is the case i dont want them. but is there a way to keep them snug?

thanks
paul

·
Registered
408 Posts
ive had mine on for 2 yrs now and checked them twice, at the most there were a couple bolts a 1/4 turn loose. as long as you keep the rest of the exhaust supported you will be fine. i have also seen where people have to keep tighting bolts or even loose them totally, and when you ask how many hangers they have on their exhaust they say none! what im trying to say is you dont want the headers supporting the weight. hope that helps...?

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
You should only have to tighten them once after install. If more you have a problem, as described weight and hangers. The gasket usually compresses a couple mm's at break-in.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
Don't know what to tell you.
I used stage 8 bolts but, the way they are make you can't really preload the bolts in a locked position so they can back off a smidge before they lock.
That said. I'v never retightened them and they have never backed off to take up the slack in the keepers. So all I accomplished is to have a a dozen or keepers that just sit there and do nothing but vibrate a little.
Don't know why some header bolts tend to back out and others's dont. Maybe it's the mopar gasket that I used. Might be that a less quality gasket would tend to expand and contract more and cause the bolts to loosen up. THe flanges on my pacesetters are pretty darn thick too, that probably keeps them from flexing much giving the bolts a chance to loosen.
Anyway if you use the mopar gasket and stage 8's and you shouldn't expect have any problems.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for you answers. it helps

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
ramcrazy said:
Stage 8 locking bolts are the answer :)
Yep
Mine have been on 1 1/2years no problems

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how much do the locking bolts cost?

·
fuggin EH!!!
1,332 Posts
I just used the bolts that came with my Pacesetters and haven't had any issues of the bolts backing off. Do yourself a favor and use a new pair of factory Mopar gaskets with your headers. Don't use the garbage paper ones that come with the headers.

·
ARC
87 Posts
I agree with crazeejay. I just recently had to change the header gaskets because i had an embarrasing leak. It was horrible and after i replaced them i havent had any problems with the bolts getting loose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.