DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 244 Posts

·
Mike
276 Posts
I got my kit today and you are absolutely correct in saying there is no way this knn-e-1577 will fit....No way! So I went ahead and fabbed up a S-bolt and put the kit on with the measley paper filter and Im very happy with the outcome. I wish I would have done this before I bought my k&n FIPiece of chit!! Now I need to send K&N a third email with pics so I can get a new tube so I can sell it on ebay and get some $$$ back for THEIR screw up (or MINE for not doing the round filter in the first place!)

Great post Silver...I look forward to reading more of your opinions.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
With your truck, you should get the new Mopar lid powder coated to match your truck. Then get the Magnum valve covers and do the same, kinda like RMIndy did with his (see pic below).

Attachments

·
Mike
276 Posts
I like that idea. My intake is powder coated red so I think the black looks pretty good. If I start pulling crap apart tp paint and power coat, my truck will never see the road this year. You know, Im one of those people that once you start a project like that it will never go back together until every little piece of metal is touched some how or another.

Anyways, take a look. Its a little dirty right now. I need to get in there and do some spring cleaning/detailing. See if you can find my iat sensor. I thought it was kind of funny seeing it just sittin their.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Daaaaayummmmmmmmm. You call that dirty??

Sweet truck Mike.

·
Mike
276 Posts
Thanks dude. Its a bit dusty right now but its hard to see in the pic. Usually everything is glowing and really bright. When people open the hood of a "DODGE" they expect to see a nasty cluttered engine bay full in mud and crap. (Nothing wrong with that after a good day in a mud hole) I love seeing their expressions on their face when they see under the hood.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Holy crap, that looks great!! I like how you put your stickers on the fan shroud. Nice idea. I have mine on the firewall, but I think I might move them now. :)

How do you feel it is performing with the new air cleaner? My opinon was/and still is that it performs better then any other I have tried, even with the paper filter in there.

·
Mike
276 Posts
Im really impressed with how it performs. I love how it sounds now. You can really hear the T.B. suckin the air in when you hammer it. But what I really like is the fact that it cleaned up the engine compartment. It will even look better once I get that white thing they call an air filter out of there and get a K&N back in. I reordered a 1530. I really was not impressed with the FIPK from the first day I put it on. Ive emailed K&N 3 times now with the pics Ive attached and still nothing from them. Im gonna call them on Mon. if I have time and see what they have to say.

As you can see this thing looks like hell.

·
Mike
276 Posts
Her is another pic of the other side of the motor. Notice how I cut the stock bracket that holds or use to hold the air cond. compressor. I was pretty proud of that after I wacked it off. (That didnt sound right now did it? lol) Not many times can you make a difference in how something looks when its stock and free.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
That looks great man. You've built a nice ride there, you should be proud. Nice Job!
Glad you like the air cleaner. Let me know how that 1530 fits. If it is good, i'll be ordering it, or maybe the 1535 if I think there is room. I'll need to make a new s-bolt for that though, mine is barely long enough for what I got today.

·
Work in progress...
1,202 Posts
mctr7 said:
Anyways, take a look. Its a little dirty right now. I need to get in there and do some spring cleaning/detailing. See if you can find my iat sensor. I thought it was kind of funny seeing it just sittin their.

HA! Dirty....that engine compartment looks spotless! It's beautiful.:D

I've never looked at the iat sensor but if I had to guess I would say, either up and behind the passenger valve cover, or right behind the oil dipstick?

·
Work in progress...
1,202 Posts
Hey I have a question for you ram guys. Right now I'm using a Mr. Gasket kit with a 14x2.8" filter element on my durango. The only problem is that when I installed it I was too stupid to get a standalone filter element for my breather, the filter I have is just a bit too big and hits the hood, lifting the rear of the base off the throttle body, and these mopar ones looks sooooo much nicer than the plain chrome.

SO-I was thinking about getting one of these filters, and was wondering if I could possibly bum my old filter off onto my dad's truck ('97 ram 360); would it fit? I know it's a bit bigger around than the mopar, so I was wondering if it would work on his truck. Thanks!!

·
Mike
276 Posts
Yup, behind the dipstick.

I think the filter will work for you. Mine ^ is 13" round and I have more room for something with a lttle more diameter. Go for it, whats it gonna hurt?

Now make your count on who was freeked out from your avatar up one. Holy mooley.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That does look damn good, now you have me reconcidering the FIPK as well, it was going to be my next puchase, but it I can save $150+!?!

·
Work in progress...
1,202 Posts
mctr7 said:
Yup, behind the dipstick.

I think the filter will work for you. Mine ^ is 13" round and I have more room for something with a lttle more diameter. Go for it, whats it gonna hurt?

Now make your count on who was freeked out from your avatar up one. Holy mooley.
Okay thanks...I decided to keep mine for a few reasons, mainly because I think I stopped it from lifting up off the tb in the rear, but I still maybe try and talk my dad into getting one. It's so cheap and easy...

15 people it is....:D

·
Mike
276 Posts
SR 118. I just spoke with a K&N rep and they are sending me a brand spankin new FIPK tube in the mail. I should recieve it tomorrow or Fri. Make me an offer I cant refuse and I will ship it to you asap. The filter and filter housing..shield...box, whatever you call it is all there. Even down to the last screw. Ill even drill it for you so you have a place to stick you iat sensor.

·
Mike
276 Posts
Okay, I finally got the K&N 1530 filter in and I guess it fits okay. I wish it was a little bigger in diameter. As you can see there is maybe a 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch all the around the filter housing that used to be taken up by the paper filter. Other than that it fits great. Just tall enough to get in fairly easy. Im not to sure if you would want to go any taller, its still a pretty tight fit.

Also, I just recieved a brand spankin new K&N tube if anybody is interested in a FIPK kit. K&N is really a stand up company for warranting these things. I did not even have to show a reciet.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Wonder if any other company makes a K&N type filter that would fit this odd size filter element. Needs to be 12.75" I know that the 13" K&N does not fit, I tried it. I had hoped this 1530 would be the ticket. Nothing wrong with the paper filter I guess. It probably filters particles better then a K&N at least.

·
Mike
276 Posts
Yea, thats kinda what I was thinking. Either way I think the pics make it look worse than what it is. I guess if anybody ever comments about it I will search for 12.75 round re-usable filter.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I'm not seeing your pics anywhere.

Does it seal good enough to prevent unfiltered air getting in, or do you think the filter really need to be up against the lip on the edge of the base and lid?

·
Mike
276 Posts
They should be up. I can see them. I will try them through a IM.

81 - 100 of 244 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.