DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 244 Posts

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I switched to a round filter setup. I've been reading tons of posts from RM Indys and others using 14x3 round filter setups, and other similar types. I decided to get the Mopar Performance air filter. It comes with a paper 13.25 x 2.75 filter. I will be replacing it with a K&N, which comes in the size I have now, or a 13.25 x 2.87, or 13.25 x 3.12. I plan to use the biggest one I can get to fit.

This is hands down the best fitting air assembly I have installed (I have tried 3 other types). All the others were such a pain to take on and off. This fits tight and perfect, and is a breeze to install and remove. And a bonus is that I have the passenger side of my engine compartment open again. The FIPK really blocked access to a lot of stuff on that side.

As soon as I got on the road, I could tell a difference too. It feels like I just have more power, only way I can describe it. Escpecially in mid to high RPM range. I was suprised, because the filter I was running on my FIPK was rated at over 900cfm (much bigger then what it came with). Makes me wonder how much air velocity is lost through the tube. Air velocity into the TB with this setup should be pretty good. Yes, the air will be warmer then what my FIPK pulled in, but if air flow and velocity is better, I doubt it will matter much. If I was on the track, I might care, but for a daily driver, I think this will work well for me.

Anyway, here are some pics. I absolutly love how it looks and performs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Dude.... I love it. Where'd you get it from and how much did it cost you??? That's definitly going on Santa's list!!!

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The filter assembly costs $70 through Summit (part# DCC-5249807), and the new K&N filter is $37-$43 from Summit, depending on which filter I get.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Anyone know if the "mounting flange" (where the air filter kisses the TB) is the same on the 5.2's and the 5.9's?

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe it is.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just out of curiosity, I ran over to the parts store that is a few blocks away to see if they happened to have the K&N I needed, and they did. So I picked it up and put it in.

Attachments

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought you might like it RAM MAN. I know you used to have this kit.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Schweeeeet. Do they make a filter wrap for those filters? It'd be nice to have when I'm in the goo...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think i'm gonna get one now, my fipk is cracked again and i'm tired of repairing it and I don't want to waste my time with k&n's recall.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
mad4dskilz said:
I think i'm gonna get one now, my fipk is cracked again and i'm tired of repairing it and I don't want to waste my time with k&n's recall.
See if you can get your money back, or at least put it towards one of the circle filters pictured above.

·
Registered
61 Posts
im deffinatly liking the look of your engine bay, id like to ask where you got those headers, and how much were they, i like the look of them alot. looks great as well, i think i might have to go with this setup myself sometime soon

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
iRIDEmshBKS said:
im deffinatly liking the look of your engine bay, id like to ask where you got those headers, and how much were they, i like the look of them alot. looks great as well, i think i might have to go with this setup myself sometime soon
My headers are Edelbrock. They are the Silver Ceramic coated type, not the Ti-Tech coated type. Several people on various Dodge forums have reported issues with Edelbrocks Ti-Tech coating, so I would be leary of it. This coating seems to be holding up very well. I got them through Summit, part# 65642, $360.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey Silver, looks dang good. How do you keep your set up so prestine in appearance? What do you use to keep it so clean?

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For tough dirt and grim (like after I have been on muddy or dusty dirt trails and roads, I just hose it off at the car wash when I am washing the rest of the truck (avoiding sensitive areas of course). I use the engine/tire cleaner they have there (it looks and smells just like Simple Green, so I think that's what it is). At home, I have this stuff called Greased Lightning. It's an engine degreaser, but it is non flammable. When I have the hood up doing other stuff, I sometimes just spray that on a rag and wipe down easy to reach areas. People always comment on these boards about how clean my engine looks. I find it funny because, though I am kinda anal about keeping my truck clean, I don't feel like I really try very hard to keep the engine area clean. Maybe just cleaning it regularly helps keep it from getting so terrible.

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
Looks really good Silver, all ties in nicely now :rck:
For the price, look, hp gains and ease of working around you cant beat it. I never liked the genII cause of the unbalanced look it gives under the hood.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya, as soon as I put it on, I loved it. It performs great, and looks great. It took me longer to remove the FIPK then it did to install this new one.

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
So what do you plan to do with the old FIPK?

1 - 20 of 244 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.