DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the difference (other than a couple HP) between the K&N 77 series High Flow Air Filter and 63 Series Air Charger and is there a recommendation for one over the other? I'm looking to gain some additional HP and thought I would start here. Or are there better options than K&N? Any insight would be great.

Curt

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
id say neither my friend i had the aircharger and its way overpriced. Either go like most lately and get the ebay intake or get airrams, his is slightly better but yet more expensive, and no this is not a dis to airram, here is a link to the ebay one i have its pretty sweet setup for under a 100 dollars,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003...tegoryZ38634QQihZ013QQitemZ230053003549QQrdZ1

or item number:230053003549

·
Registered
8 Posts
Go with the 63 if legal in your state...

I have the 77 and experienced some unwanted sounds when the mds kicks in, engine noise, etc due to the metal tube in the 77 CAI. I had to install the EGR baffle from 3rdStrike.biz to cut back on the noise. In CA the 63 is not street legal so my only option from K&N was the 77. From the dyno charts on their website they show the 63 adds more HP but the real advantage is the non-metal tube in my opinion.

Either way I'm very satisfied with the results and noticed a huge improvement when towing my bass boat up to Lake Berryessa last weekend. Either way you're better off going with one or the other over stock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I have a 2006 Mega Cab so if I'm not mistaken it does not have MDS. Interesting about the noise with the 77 version. Since I am in VA I either would work. Sounds like I just need to decide if I want to shell out the money for the K&N or go with the Air Ram setup which appears to be more cost effective for the same results.

Thanks again.
Curt

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
airram's will work better hands down my friend, no lie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rollin,

I'm definitely leaning that way. I want to get a little more research on them. Can you tell me if it uses the same type/style of air filter as K&N? Anything I need to know before I make the purchase?

Curt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.