DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a dealer contact me with a Black 300C SRT8 this weekend and offered a test drive. I couldn't resist. Got up this morning, made the appointment for Noon and took the drive.

All I can say is Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus Chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist! What a rocket ship. Got on the on ramp of the Garden Grove freeway at Euclid and stabbed it from about a 15 MPH roll. Was a short on ramp but I was doing 75+ when I got on the actual freeway. Was still in 2nd (I think) and had to get off it. Still can't wipe the grin off my face.

The suspension felt great for the little bit I drove it. Got off 2 two exits later and drove the frontage road back to the dealer. The thing has mucho power yet drove real nice under normal conditions. The exhaust sounded OK when I started it with a little rev but was not acceptable as far as I'm concerned. It did make some noise when I got on it on the freeway on ramp but I was holding on and really can't say what it sounded like from the outside.

The 20" SRT8 rims looked great but were dirty. I have been reading a lot of posts about the brake dust. Didn't really get to test the brakes except when I almost overshot the driveway comming back. Felt real solid when I mashed them down to make the turn. Did not have the Kicker audio system. I was too busy to mess with the sound system but did turn it on and was not impressed however it could have just been the settings.

The guy I rode with was th Fleet Manager and he swore that the 6.1 was super charged. I had to break his balls on that one. Actually, he really didn't know much about the car at all. I'm pretty sure I knew a lot more about it than he did. When we got back to the dealership I said, "so according to your e-mail I can drive this home for MSRP." He points at the window sticker and there it is. Dealer mark up. $19,950.00! I just laughed and told him that the owner was crazy and walked. Got a call 5 minutes later and he dropped to $8950.00 over if I turned around and drove back. ($54K) Told him I'd get back to him.

I think I'll just wait for my Magnum that has everything that this car had except the back-up warning system and I'm paying just under $13K less. That will go a long way toward the exhaust upgrade & CAI and a few other mods that I am considering but I have to be honest, if it had been MSRP ($47,311.00) I may have jumped on it.
KK

·
Registered
75 Posts
Rocket Ship?

qzking said:
All I can say is Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus Chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist! What a rocket ship. Got on the on ramp of the Garden Grove freeway at Euclid and stabbed it from about a 15 MPH roll. Was a short on ramp but I was doing 75+ when I got on the actual freeway. Was still in 2nd (I think) and had to get off it. Still can't wipe the grin off my face.
I am sure it is fast, but can you compare it to a 5.7? Have you driven a regular RT 300 or Magnum, and if so, how much faster is the 6.1? Thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
deco,
I have test driven a couple of 5.7 Magnums and this seemed much stronger however I was not able to go on the freeway with the Magnums so I had to take my foot out of them pretty quick on the surface streets. The ass pucker factor was much more noticeable with the 6.1. It's been a few months since I drove the 5.7 though. I'm sure we'll get some more reviews as these beasts keep hitting the streets. Either way, they're both a ton of fun to drive.
KK

·
USAF MOPAR MILITARY BRAT
3,441 Posts
Did ya' smoke em'!! :rck:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am sooooo Jealous Kenny.....

What a joke, $20K over list. I guess if someone has the money and they don't want to wait it might be worth it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dantodd said:
I am sooooo Jealous Kenny.....
Dan,
What a rush! Can't wait to get mine.
KK

Did ya' smoke em'!!

AP,
No, I didn't smoke em but I think this young salesman may have been OK with that as it turned out. He was in awe of the car just as much as I was.

It was weird. When I drove up, the salesman was just pulling out with the SRT8 to get some gas for our test drive. I went out and looked at the other 300's that they had in stock. It looked pretty busy inside the showroom but I was the only one out there. Not even a salesman came out to bug me. When he came back with the SRT8 and backed it in, in front of the showroom floor, the place F'n emptied. I mean, not only the customers came out to look but the other salesmen were all hanging around too. Like I said before, I will put on aftermarket exhaust but the thing sounded pretty bad and got peoples attention when he pulled it in there. The SRT8 stands out for sure.

When I came back from the test drive and backed her in, it was the same deal. People came back out to look when this bad ass Black beauty arrived with those 20's and, just lowered enough to notice the difference. I'll tell ya, it's a real nice package for a stocker!
KK

·
Registered
19 Posts
damn that's worse than Mustang mark-up. Rediculous. I just want the seats. For the extra money I'd rather have a supercharger for less. I wish someone would come out with a roots-type blower. These cars need it since the powerband is so limited.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.