DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought in 12/01 with 20K. It was a Chrysler executive leased car and tho I was looking for new, this was the only one one the dealer's lot that had a tow package with the 3.92 posi rear.

Anyhow, here are the repairs I had to do while owning her.
40K...New rotors and pads. Installed cross-drilled rotors and Porterfield R4S pads.
40K...New shocks..Tokico Trekmasters installed.
48K...rear-end whine..pinon bearing, Chrysler picks up tab.
58K..front wheel bearing starts to go bad..$250.
98K..Ball joints replaced under recall.

So, with currently 101K on the clock, other than tires, plugs and oil changes..which one should consider as maintenance, the only real failure that cost me money was the front wheel bearing. Pretty good so far.

No engine or transmission issues and I tow a pretty big boat. 30' and 7500lbs which is over the suggested tow rating for the truck.

The 4.7L and 45rfe are a pretty sweet can-do drivetrain.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Good to hear your experiences, I think the 4.7/45rfe combo is underrated

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hercules,
I'm at 137,000 on my 98 and I can't stress how critical is it to do regular maintenance like oil changes every 3,000 miles (I use Mobile 1), clean air filter, lube all joints at oil change and have the transmission filter changed every year like clock work. When the transmission filter is changed they will put new fluid in (or should), Change diffrencial fluids once a year, I could go on & on, these are the most important things that can't be overlooked and your D will last many years and miles. Enjoy!
Fred T.

·
Sicker Than All
517 Posts
i'm at 42,7xx right now with mine and have had zero problems with it. it's only been to the dealer for maintenance.

tires are the only item that it's needed so far. once i get them paid off (put them on the CC) i'm going to go ahead and upgrade my brakes since they're getting worn and the rotors are warped.

this is the most reliable vehicle i've owned yet (it's #17 too).

/knocks on wood

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
I like seeing the 100k miles stories, give me peace of mind for the future potential of my machine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
152,xxx and still holding strong. Tranny still performs very well. I am very impressed by the longevity of it. I was worried about purchasing an American truck with so many miles.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had 130,000+ on my first one before I traded it in for my second. It was and still is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned! I am going to try to get 400,000+ out of this one. I am past having to have a new car every three years or so. Time to put that cash into a retirement fund. (Boat :cool: )

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi all,
We just purchased our 99 with a 5.9 from the original owner. It has 233,000 miles and runs like a top! He changed the oil every 3 to 5 with mobil one. The engine and trans have never been apart. I guess the extra cost for the oil does pay off.

Scott

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
I'm getting there. Congrats. You take care of the D and the D will take care of you

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
loanshark said:
Why 10w30???
Well, really because my 2 other turbo cars require it and it makes it easy to just stock 1 oil type. Also, here in Atlanta it doesn't get cold enough to get out of the 10w30 recommended operating temp range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.