DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
First time Dodge Owner!
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock shocks have 55,000 miles on them. I just put a set of Nitto TG's on my truck, so I figured I should step up to the plate and invest in a good set of shocks. After doing lots of reading on here, I decided to go with a full set of Bilstein's.

I ordered them from Top Gun Customz..... they have a great price on a package deal of (2) F4-BE5-6928-HO shocks for the front, and (2) F4-BE5-2550-H1 shocks for the rear.

Compared to the stock shocks, what should I expect from these new Bilstein's? Is the ride going to be soft, firm, hard, rock hard?? Less rear axle bounce? What am I getting for the added money over something like the Reflex shocks?

Any info would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I ordered them from Top Gun Customz..... they have a great price on a package deal of (2) F4-BE5-6928-HO shocks for the front, and (2) F4-BE5-2550-H1 shocks for the rear.

Compared to the stock shocks, what should I expect from these new Bilstein's? Is the ride going to be soft, firm, hard, rock hard?? Less rear axle bounce? What am I getting for the added money over something like the Reflex shocks?
Tell ya what, why don't you tell us, what you think of them.;) I have never heard anything bad about Bilsteins.

·
First time Dodge Owner!
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tell ya what, why don't you tell us, what you think of them.;) I have never heard anything bad about Bilsteins.
You got it! I should have them on by next week. I'll update this post with some info.

:D

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I took my stock shock off and I put on those Bilsteins they are great. I will wait until you get them on and then tell us on how you like them.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My PW has them from factory and they are great, My truck is a 2500 hemi, but the key or the proof that the Blis are good is that the spring rate on the PW are softer than the regulars 2500 so the shock has to work harder, also, I've taken my truck off toad bad and heavy rolls without any fading or overheating.

IMO.

Thanks
Ocean

·
warlock06
551 Posts
what to expect.... wrong bushings in shocks , they rattle because the bushings are to narrow, they take alittle while to get fluid warm, but once you figure out all the mounting issues they ride really nice.

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
I got more than I expected with mine. Way better over stock. You'll be happy you went with them.

·
First time Dodge Owner!
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took my stock shock off and I put on those Bilsteins they are great. I will wait until you get them on and then tell us on how you like them.
Well I got my new Bilsteins on tonight. Top Gun Customz shipped them fast!

I did run into a problem trying to figure out how the front shock bushings that came with the shocks were supposed to fit....but then after reading some posts on here, it turns out that most of you guys are using the stock bushings...so that's what I did. One strange thing that I noticed was that each front shock came with DIFFERENT bushings. One had two big rubber dougnuts, and the other came with more of a cone shapped rubber bushing. Really weird.

One other thing that surprised me was that the fully extended length on the Bilsteins was the SAME as the stock shocks. Why do I see all of these posts saying "if you level your truck or do the 2" lift in the front, unless you use aftermarket shocks like Bilsteins you are going to bottom out the stock shocks"?? The Bilsteins don't stretch out any longer than stock....even though they are advertised to work with "stock or 1" lift".

Well, back to the important stuff.....ride quality. :D

I could tell before I even put the shocks on that they were 10x's stiffer than the worn out stock shocks. The first thing I noticed when I took the truck around the block with the new shocks was how firm and tight it rode. I really like how it rides. Not really a "hard" ride...but very firm and controlled.

Overall I'm really impressed with the shocks. Hopefully they will last for a long time, and keep that nice and tight feel to them as time goes on.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
Well I can't wait till I get some miles on my truck so I can change my shocks. Wife won't let me until about 10,000 I bet.

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
What if your stock shock bushings are screwed?
Why do they advertise, that these will fit the "Dodge Ram 4x4 1500", when you have to use other mounting hardware than supplied?? ie the stock bushings.
Isn't it a poor, that you haver to reuse old bushings in what should be a brand new instalation?
This is what's stopping me ordering up a set right now.
Al.

·
First time Dodge Owner!
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What if your stock shock bushings are screwed?
Why do they advertise, that these will fit the "Dodge Ram 4x4 1500", when you have to use other mounting hardware than supplied?? ie the stock bushings.
Isn't it a poor, that you haver to reuse old bushings in what should be a brand new instalation?
This is what's stopping me ordering up a set right now.
Al.

The stock bushings looked fine....it's just two really thick rubber doughnuts that go on each side of the frame. The stuff that came with the shocks looked really flimsy and weak. One shock came with two smaller diameter doughnut bushings...and the other came with different bushings....more of a cone shaped bushing.

I'm not sure why one shock came with different mounting hardware than the other. Anyone else run into that problem with the Bilsteins?

I think the stock bushings are going to be just fine. They were in great shape.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not to thread jack but has anyone tried the Bilsteins on the 07+ front suspension with the strut assembly?

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
The stock bushings looked fine....it's just two really thick rubber doughnuts that go on each side of the frame. The stuff that came with the shocks looked really flimsy and weak. One shock came with two smaller diameter doughnut bushings...and the other came with different bushings....more of a cone shaped bushing.

I'm not sure why one shock came with different mounting hardware than the other. Anyone else run into that problem with the Bilsteins?

I think the stock bushings are going to be just fine. They were in great shape.
It's great that you managed to get your stuff up and running but............what's the deal with buying a shock that's supposed to fit our trucks with half the bits missing??? :dunno::crazy:

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Well I got my new Bilsteins on tonight. Top Gun Customz shipped them fast!

I did run into a problem trying to figure out how the front shock bushings that came with the shocks were supposed to fit....but then after reading some posts on here, it turns out that most of you guys are using the stock bushings...so that's what I did. One strange thing that I noticed was that each front shock came with DIFFERENT bushings. One had two big rubber dougnuts, and the other came with more of a cone shapped rubber bushing. Really weird.

One other thing that surprised me was that the fully extended length on the Bilsteins was the SAME as the stock shocks. Why do I see all of these posts saying "if you level your truck or do the 2" lift in the front, unless you use aftermarket shocks like Bilsteins you are going to bottom out the stock shocks"?? The Bilsteins don't stretch out any longer than stock....even though they are advertised to work with "stock or 1" lift".

Well, back to the important stuff.....ride quality. :D

I could tell before I even put the shocks on that they were 10x's stiffer than the worn out stock shocks. The first thing I noticed when I took the truck around the block with the new shocks was how firm and tight it rode. I really like how it rides. Not really a "hard" ride...but very firm and controlled.

Overall I'm really impressed with the shocks. Hopefully they will last for a long time, and keep that nice and tight feel to them as time goes on.
I'm glad you like them because I really do with the stock shock they was sliding from on side to the other side. The place that I bought my from install them free so I didn't go thought all of that.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
Interesting about the bushings. Sounds like somebody at Bilstein has their head up their butt. How hard can it be for them to source the correct bushings?

·
warlock06
551 Posts
top gun sent me the bushings when i told them about prob, only thing is i warned them before they shipped, they said wait to recieve them, so 3 more days with old shocks, THANKS TOP GUN

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've got an '04 4x4 and just did the fronts yesterday. My stock shocks had a cone shaped bushing on the bottom of the stem mount and a flat bushing on top. My new Bilsteins shipped with the same style bushings and I used them in the same configuration that the stock shock had.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Give TGC a call about the bushings. You'll want to swap out the bushings and sleeves for the eyelets as Bilstein uses 5/8" standard and Dodge has 14.4mm bolts (unless you got the OEM replacement Bilstein HD's and not the 5100 series).

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
See, all this give so and so a call and get this and fit that????
This is what is putting me off ordering a set of these, for use here in the UK.
When I order a set of shocks specifically designed for my truck, I should have all the bits and pieces in the kit to do just that.
I don't think that's unreasonable?
Can you imagine the hassle I would have, with half my stuff lying on the garage floor cos' it isn't complete and waiting the two weeks for the shipping to come through from the States, to get some stuff to finally fit them?:tantrum2::cuss:
Sorry......I'm jacking the thread.

Al

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.