DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· September 2007 ROTM
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During a local Mopar meet yesterday, a friend of mine noticed something on my passenger side tail light. In the first picture, you'll my driver's side Black Depo LED tail that looks perfectly normal, and how it should look. In the second picture, however, you'll notice how it looks 'foggy', and it's definitely worse than what the camera/picture portrays. From my personal inspection of it, it looks like it's from the inside. I don't think it's condensation whatsoever. I think I already know the answer to this but, has anyone else experienced a problem like this with their Depo tails? I would presume not. These tail lights are only 3 months old. They had a 60 day warranty, so that's a no-go. I bought this pair because my other pair of the exact same lights had LEDs going out on EACH tail light after only 10 months.

I am starting to think these tails aren't really made that well, or I've just been really unlucky. I love the LED tail light look, and I want some black ones (not tinted).

See the e-bay link below, anyone like these?: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-0...ryZ33716QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Attachments

· September 2007 ROTM
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmmm, I never thought about that. Well, I bought it off of an e-bay seller. He had the 60 day warranty. You mean contact the manufacturer?

EDIT: Also, what do you think about those on the e-bay link I posted? Any other suggestions?

· Registered
48,548 Posts
ZAZ said:
Hmmmmm, I never thought about that. Well, I bought it off of an e-bay seller. He had the 60 day warranty. You mean contact the manufacturer?

EDIT: Also, what do you think about those on the e-bay link I posted? Any other suggestions?
Yes contact the manufacturer. Contacting the ebay seller if he is a store might work too.

I like the linked set too. My only concern with some of the LED tails is some you cant see them from the side.

· Registered
10,894 Posts
alot of the aftermarket lights haze up...I would have a bodyshop polish them back up and then shot some clear on them, they will never has up again and you can wax them why you wax your truck..

I had the problem with my headlights and had Hurst polish and clear mine..

· September 2007 ROTM
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But, the haze seems to be on the 'inside' of the light, not the outside. I'm not sure if attempting to 'polish' them on the outside will fix the problem.

· Banned
4,165 Posts
i had some of those on my car and its the seal of the tail light itself .....its letting humidity in and causing condensation............so i think its moisture........if it in there all the time then it would of had to been there the whole time in my opinion

· September 2007 ROTM
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I can say that it hasn't been that way for atleast 2 months (first 2 months I've had them). This may have 'developed' over the past month or so.

Is there anyway to get the moisture/humidity OUT of them successfully, if in fact that's what it is? I know what condensation looks like, and it definitely doesn't look like that's what it is to me.

· September 2007 ROTM
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I could try that, but after taking the tail off and looking at it, it's hard to tell where the 'seal' actually is and if I won't mess something by doing it (electronics/LEDs)

· September 2007 ROTM
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I contacted the seller and the manufacturer. I guess I'll wait and see what they have to say. I doubt I will have any luck with them, though.

· September 2007 ROTM
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Argh. Looks like I'll probably end up getting new ones, unless either the manuf or the e-bay seller comes through.

Any suggestions anyone, for some Black LED tails?

· Registered
22,981 Posts
Sometimes if its just condensation you can leave them in a dry room. Like in your bedroom where the temperature doesn't fluctuate so much. Maybe even try hitting them with a blowdryer for a little bit. That may get them to dry up and clear up themselves. Then just seal the seam really well with some black silicone from the auto store. Smear it in the seam and let it cure for a day or so and re-install.

Worse comes to worse, buy another set I guess. I liek your current ones better than th ebay ones you posted. But if they keep having quality issues, it might be time for a different brand.

KB

· September 2007 ROTM
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I really don't think it is condensation. Like I said, I've seen condensation before and that looks nothing like it.

I kind of like the ones I have now more, but I don't know. 2 pairs of the same exact tail lights in just over 1 year? And ANOTHER set??

I'm going to wait it out for now..

· September 2007 ROTM
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Keven, okay cool. I PM'd him just now - Thanks!

· Registered
132 Posts
Mine are now doing the same thing!! I noticed it recently and thought maybe they came that way but now that you pointed it out with one light vs the other mine are getting the haze inside both my lights. I don't think it's moisture. Looks to me like the haze (besides smokers haze) you get inside your windshield and have to clean off sometimes. I read once that is from chemicals/gases escaping from the dash and plastics inside the vehicle. I bet that is the same situation inside these lights. They just need to be wiped out but you cannot do that. I still have the original packing on the lights and it says they go through a vaccum process to eliminate dust. Not sure if that means they are vacuum sealed? I suspect there is no moisture just a haze we cannot get out!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.