DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing my Harland Sharp 1.7 roller rockers. A piece of cake. Anyone, almost, can do it.. And it feels sooooo good...
A weird thing I noticed while under the valve covers. One side, the passenger side head, is much cleaner than the driver's side head and valve train components. Flaky, wet looking carbon build up. No sludge, just this layer of stuff on the oem rockers, covers, heads, pushrods, ect. Equal amounts of oil setting in the rockers on each side. Odd.. anyone seen this in there Mopar?

·
Registered
736 Posts
probably because the pcv valve is on the driver side valve cover

·
Registered
119 Posts
probably because the pcv valve is on the driver side valve cover
I guess they changed it then, because my 96 is on the pass side. I would think the side with the PVC would be cleaner. Manifold pulls vacuum so it pulls from the side with pvc valve, thus helping vent that side better.

Makes you woner if it would be wise to install a breather filter on the other side?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I guess they changed it then, because my 96 is on the pass side. I would think the side with the PVC would be cleaner. Manifold pulls vacuum so it pulls from the side with pvc valve, thus helping vent that side better.

Makes you woner if it would be wise to install a breather filter on the other side?
thats right i do remember seeing an older magnum and couldnt figure out what was out of place and then noticed pcv valve on the pass side.

when i had my valve covers off when i did my plenum gasket both sides of mine were evenly dirty and full of "sludge"

·
Registered
119 Posts
SOunds like the butt dyno can feel an improvement in power. You notice in drop in low end power? Was looking at the HSRR as an upgrade but now leaning towrads the sct tuner.

I think the the tuner might be more of a power increase & possible MPG saver over the HSRR.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As the PCM learns the new setup things are getting more torquie and just kinda bitchin' overall. I am really liking the RR's. I hit the intestate for a few miles today and the new package really has more overall power and driveibility. The truck accelerates better getting up to freeway speeds and has an easier time crusing at speeds and it likes higher speed. It's happier at a bit higher speed. Can't wait to tow something...

·
Dark Side Master
643 Posts
A side note on PCV location...on my 2003 5.9 it's back on the passenger side, not drivers.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
my 96 has the passenger side pvc also. really interested in the H.S 1.7s. what happened to your mileage? any lean condition at top end?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My PCV is on the passenger side also....

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
low end is awesome with the 1.7 the power grab anywhere actaully . but the the sct its a awesome mod, because our trucks are so de-tuned to begin with

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My sct smoothed out the truck, feels like it fine tuned it, but the 1.7's really made a performance difference in my truck. Like after using Seafoam, I can feel a difference, a big difference, but I did not have the death flash....

·
Registered
119 Posts
So it been over a month now & would like an update. I guess at this point PCM has fine tuned itself. I t sounds like power improvement is there notice much on the way of mpgs?

Also After thinking about the pass side has the pvc to help pull out air/fumes, but the driver side has the breather that hooks up to airbox. Since driver side was dirtier makes me wonder if the breather might need cleaning. Maybe pull it off & soak it in cleaner/gas to break down the oil.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got back from a round trip to Ca. 1500 miles, with a pair of sport bikes on a small three rail trailer. Truck runs great, it feels lighter with the added seat of the pants power. Mileage was 13.6 at 60 to 70 mph. It is about the same maybe a 5-10% improve, no worse. 75+ dropped mpg to 11.6, so I took it easy, no hurry this trip. I did notice no oil used, the last 2 OCI I used seafoam in the crankcase hoping to clean out those oil rings. Seems to be working nicely.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.