DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
First time Dodge Owner!
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I got my Magnaflow in a few days ago and went to the muffler shop today to have my stock exhaust cut off, and put the magnaflow in it's place dumping it right in front of the rear axle (see pic).

I went with the longer 22" body Magnaflow because others have said they sound great, and don't' drone as much as the shorter ones. Well, they are 100% right...they don't drone, and they sound just like stock!! I'm being totally honest when I say that the new dumped exhaust sounds just like stock. Even in the garage when I fire the truck up....I think it may even be quieter than stock!

Do these mufflers get louder over time?? I'm really disappointed in the sound, I'm almost half temped to cut the thing off and put one of the smaller magnaflows on there. I think that at highway speeds..60+, it may even be quieter than stock!! I was so let down the first time I fired it up at the muffler shop......I should have saved $120 and just left the stock exhaust on there... :bawl:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/12579/10002/-1#

·
Banned
93 Posts
well you could cut the cats & add a y-pipe if you want it louder. Don't know what to tell ya man. sound is a subjective thing what may be loud to you is just fine to someone else. easy solution, cut it off and get a 2/3 chamber flowmaster, sell it pocket 50 bucks

·
First time Dodge Owner!
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might just have to do that. The only reason I went with a Magnaflow is because I see so many guys on here running them. Yes, sound it subjective......but I'm not kidding when I say it's the same volume and tone as the stock exhaust. Even when I blip the gas and rev it up a bit.....it sounds stock.

But, I'm worried that if I go with a 2-chambered Flowmaster, I'm going to go from one extreme to the other...loud as hell and really annoying!

I will have to take a video clip of it and post it up....you won't believe how quiet it is! :bawl:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am running a flowmaster 40 and I left my stock resonator on. Sounds nice and throaty but not overly droaning on the freeway. I have been very happy with mine.

·
Zim
69 Posts
I might just have to do that. The only reason I went with a Magnaflow is because I see so many guys on here running them. Yes, sound it subjective......but I'm not kidding when I say it's the same volume and tone as the stock exhaust. Even when I blip the gas and rev it up a bit.....it sounds stock.

But, I'm worried that if I go with a 2-chambered Flowmaster, I'm going to go from one extreme to the other...loud as hell and really annoying!

I will have to take a video clip of it and post it up....you won't believe how quiet it is! :bawl:
My Magnaflow drones above 2,000 rpm, so I keep it below 2,000 cruising and I get good milage to boot.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm sure you know this but a bigger muffler typically means less noise. You could always get a smaller magnaflow and sell the old one. Good luck finding the perfect muffler for your truck.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I was looking at the magnaflow system just because it would not be loud but offer better flow. I guess this answers my question. I listened to the sound clip online for my application, it does not sound stock.

·
Registered
67 Posts
How it sounds at idle is kinda deceiving. Have someone drive past you in your truck at speed, when they get close, tell them to floor it and see what it sounds like at full throttle as it roars pass!

Personally, I prefer Magnaflow products over Flowmaster. Just a preference....but my Ram already had a Flowmaster installed when I bought it, so that's why I have one now.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
yeah like said. id stick with magnaflow. just get a smaller one this time and sell the other on craigslist or something.

or do what was said right above my post.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I love my Borla! I thought about Magnaflow and heard they droned.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
IQRaceworks, can you get a audio clip? Im looking for a straight thru muffler that is very comparable to stock sound.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
I run a magnaflow cuz i wanted very quiet performance...if i want loud, i open the cutouts..simple fix...

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
I have that same monster sitting in my garage holding brooms and mops now. I took mine off after about a month, honestly it was as quiet as the stock muffler. I have since purchased a much smaller Magnaflow off the classifieds here and love it. I've also noticed dumped is quieter vs. with a section of tailpipe so I just donkey dicked a portion of the tail over the axle, dumped it there with a chrome tip and left the end section of the catback off.
Sounds 100% better and meaner

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
I have the big magnaflow (dual 3" in/single 3.5" out), I'm running true duals 3" piping from the headers to the muffler...I absolutely love it cuz it is quiet enough to have a decent conversation.. and it is scary loud with the cutouts open...

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Wow that surprises me, mine was much more muscular sounding then stock. On the 05's they have resonators that make the exhaust ultra quiet, not sure on the 04's. Hell my 03' 4.7's stock exhaust sounded much louder then the 05's stock exhaust. Like said earlier, cutting off cats or going with a shorter magnaflow should give you what you want. Remember glasspack type mufflers will be quieter the longer/thicker they are.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
I feel ya man. I had the 14" Magnaflow put on my 4.7 and dumped behind the axle and it is also extremely quiet. Had to install a cutout to make up for it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
18" magnaflow on an 06. This is the 3rd different routing i've had done with this one muffler... this by far is the best sound, and the perfect level of rowdiness for me.

See for yourself. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUaI8uozsWM

·
Vroom, psssst
3,055 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.