DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2003 Dakota v6 SXT over the weekend. I suspected the plugs were original and they were. Pulled them out, looked OK color-wise, but the gaps ranged from .50 to .55 !!!!!!!!!!!!! The electrodes were rounded off as well. Factory spec is .40

It did make a noticeable difference in the idle quality and seems to have a bit more power now.

Just thought I'd share.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
how many miles on your vehicle?

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
yeah 50K is a lot of miles for a set of plugs. I have 36K on the stockers and I have a new set ready to go in. Looking forward to seeing the results.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My '98 Dak had 68K miles when I bought it used and swapped the plugs for some Autolite 3923's, and I believe they were the original Champion plugs. 68K on the stock plugs, and it still ran! After putting in the new colder plugs I now have no pinging at all now. I highly recommend them for the 5.2/5.9/3.9.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yeah, I did mine at about 45K as well as Napa Brass Cap and Rotor, Auto 3923, and new wires.....made a WORLD of difference....

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had an 02 Dakota with a 4.7, and I never had any luck with Autolites. I changed the factory set at 35,000 miles and put in a set of Autolites they were burned up in 25,000 miles. I went to Champion truck plugs and they worked well. MOPAR has always run Champions as a factory plug even in the 60s. So I figure Champions were the best in Mopars.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have heard that autolites do well in the 3.9/5.2/5.9 engines...but not so well in the 4.7. Anyone agree? Disagree?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'd have to agree. I know they don't do well in the 4.7. I've never had any trouble with Autolites in old school engines, which the 3.9,5.2, & 5.9 are. In my 88 360 4bbl I run Bosch Platium plugs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wg34 said:
Did you change the Distributor cap and rotor too? It makes a difference as well.
not yet, letting my wallet recharge after doing a few things the weekend I brought it home. Hopefully before Xmas tho.

·
Registered
2 Posts
e-3 spark plugs

I have a 03 dakota with 3.9 with 42,000 miles and decided to change plug and thought i would try the e-3 spark plugs. Ran great for about 20 to 30 miles then started running like it was skipping real bad,got home took batt cable off because check engine light came on,put it back on and went to the golf course,ran alright there but coming back started running awful again.Advance auto took plugs back and i got ngk iridium and put in tonight and hopefully it will be back to running great,will let you know

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm running E3s in my '03 4.7L and it runs great with them. Good thing they took em back for you they are a little $$.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
4.7L's eat spark plugs fast... 50K is a LOT for plugs put in what is essentially a 4.7L with two cylinders chopped off.

I changed the OEM's out with Champions and decided that I would try the NGK's for $16 after only about 10K on the replacement champions... money very well spent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
plugs

the ngk iridium run alot better than the e-3 but when the truck warms up it runs a little ruff while idilling,do you think the computer will adjust to them .Next time i change plugs i will go back with the champions.My dad worked for chrysler for 30 plus years and he always said to run nothing but champion because that is what came in it.

·
neverthotidownadodge
14 Posts
Plugs - Could these be stock w/ 88,000 mi on them?

I decided to install a set of NGK Iridium plugs after reading this and several posts, plus pulling the #1 plug and seeing excessive gap and electrode wear. It seems to idle a lot better. Hopefully it will help with the mpg.

My '01 Dakota QC with 4.7L has 88,000 mi. Does anyone think these could be stock plugs? I hope so, cause if they had say 25-40,000K miles on them, the wear and gap seems pretty high.

I measured the worst one at a .074" gap.

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
88D250 said:
I had an 02 Dakota with a 4.7, and I never had any luck with Autolites. I changed the factory set at 35,000 miles and put in a set of Autolites they were burned up in 25,000 miles. I went to Champion truck plugs and they worked well. MOPAR has always run Champions as a factory plug even in the 60s. So I figure Champions were the best in Mopars.
Not in the 3.7...the 3.7 comes with factory NGKs. Always check the emissions sticker under the hood for the factory plug part number, and get those unless you run nitrous or a blower or such.

·
Registered
142 Posts
where are the plugs located i cant seem to find them on my truck i tink they are jsut hidn ( 97 dak with a 3.9 v6:()

and wut kind of plugs would you recomend

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just follow the plug wires from the distrib/cap/rotor.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you want, click on my gallery and go to the pics of my old dakota. On there you will see blue wires. Those are the plug wires that go into your spark plugs. I ran Autolite 3923 on my V6. But I don't run them anymore on the R/T.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.