DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't really post a lot, but figured with the threads i've seen i'd throw in my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.

my 03 rams 4.7 fan clutch went out, so i bought a replacement hayden and one from autozone. they were both extremely noisy and you could actually feel them dragging the engine down. i bit the bullet and spent the $160 for the oem Mopar replacement, works perfectly, no more jet engine roar from under the hood. one time i'm actually happy i spent the extra money.

ps- 273,xxx miles and still going strong

· Red Trucking Admin
3,562 Posts
Alot of times with these modern vehicles, OEM tends to be the best option, albeit usually the most expensive one. Especially true of sensors, like oil pressure, etc. Buy an OEM one you're good. Buy an aftermarket one and you generally are replacing it sooner rather than later.

· Registered
9,836 Posts
Yeah, some electric fans can certainly make some noise. Typically the smaller ones are the loudest and they need to spin faster to move the air fast enough to remove heat. The trick to an electric fan is to get one that is large enough and capable of actually cooling the radiator. The larger fans can cool at lower RPMs. One thing about most fan controllers is they are only two speeds... ON/OFF for this reason alone they can be VERY loud. One great option is to install a variable fan speed controller. This will literally start the fans at a very low unnoticeable RPM and only raise the RPMs as needed. Once installed and set up, you will likely only hear the fans if you where running hard.

The benefits to an electric fan is the 15HP gain and 3-4MPG gain... for me, I lean towards electric UNLESS I am 4-wheeling in the outback... the factory clutch fan can your best friend. I always recomend to toss the factory clutch fan into the tool box for long off road adventures.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

· Slow Rider Truckin
80 Posts
I experienced similar issue with ignition switch. It started with my interior HVAC fan quitting right at the hottest part of the summer a year or two ago. Seemed simple enough to me. I replaced the fan motor, the resistor, and the relay... nothing. Looked on youtube, people said it was the ignition switch. ??? Everything else worked fine. I priced the mopar switch at a little less than $200. The chain auto parts store had a selection of cheap ones. I bought their mid priced one. It lasted about two months. Then I bought the mopar switch and replaced it again. Been good ever since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts