DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know in -20F weather, trucks start hard. But how come when I let it sit a few days, then go to start it, it starter is real slow, then slowly speeds up until it fires up? Almost like it builds momentum to fire.

·
46re(tarded)
352 Posts
Someone correct me if i am wrong here, but when the battery is that cold then you start drawing amps from it, it's warming up slightly internally.

·
truckman323
466 Posts
i'll agree with that. i know the battery warms up as it draws. when it's really cold i'll turn on my lights for a bit to warm up the battery before i draw on it with the starter.

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I figured it was because something was warming up, just didn't CLICK in my mind that it was the draw on the battery. It's too cold to think. It makes since now, on a smaller scale, 9v batteries get extremely hot when connected to something tiny.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
every thing has to get moving oil,tranny fluid,power steering fluid you are turnning all of that and its like jello at realy cold temps

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
moe in wichita ks
as you all know iam not an enginer or a sciencetest, iam just an old guy. my idea is that there a few things that cause an engine to be hard to start when it has been setting a while.
1. the oil has drained out of the bearings
2. the carburtor has lost the gasoline
3 the bearings in the starter are dry. so you say arnt the starter bearings all ways dry? no, most starter bushings are what is called oil-lite bearings, that is a poures bearing materal that holds oil and when it gets hot the oil comes out to lube the shaft, invented by chrysler.
4. power loss in electrical cables when cold..
5. the battery has less output when cold.
6 what little oil is in the bearings is much stifer.
7. gasoline evaporates much slower. on carbuarted engines i learned a trick years ago, it had an electric fuel pump i would run the pump to get gas into the carb then i would pump the gas 3 times, then wait 30 seconds. it would allways start very quick.
just my ideas after driving for 44 years

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
if you started driving 44 years ago didnt you just have to go out and feed it hay to get it started
:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny

·
Registered
527 Posts
if you started driving 44 years ago didnt you just have to go out and feed it hay to get it started
:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny
Aw, come on fellas. Moe ain't that old, he's only got one year on me. When we first started driving the horses were under the hood and not in the barn. Course, you young fellers were probably nothing more than a wet dream during the muscle car era. :spank2: :thatfunny

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
Aw, come on fellas. Moe ain't that old, he's only got one year on me. When we first started driving the horses were under the hood and not in the barn. Course, you young fellers were probably nothing more than a wet dream during the muscle car era. :spank2: :thatfunny

thats true but i did help my grandfather on the farm and up until 72 he still used a team of horses to do it now if only my dodge understood gee and haw id be good to go:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
back then if you had a problem
slap a set of points and plugs in her and that was it
cruise all night long fuel 32 a gallon
drive to just get lost

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
moe in wichita ks
i road a dinosour to school with fred flintstone. when i started driving the price of gas was 1/3 of the octane. my third car was a 1965 chrysler 300L, if you made one panic stop from 80mph that was the last stop you made for the next hour, the brakes got so hot. no to start my 300 i had to feed it two vws. i just loved having a FULL size car, 16.08 1/4 mile totaly stock 4200lbs. the 300 would blow cadys off like nothing, but i had a time with the pontiac grand prix gs, but the non gs i could beat easy. we build a 59 ply wagon with a 392 hemi. my dad kept raceing GTOs but couldnt beat them. i finaly told him you cant give away 1000 lbs and beat them. enuf living in the past

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
moe in wichita ks
i road a dinosour to school with fred flintstone. when i started driving the price of gas was 1/3 of the octane. my third car was a 1965 chrysler 300L, if you made one panic stop from 80mph that was the last stop you made for the next hour, the brakes got so hot. no to start my 300 i had to feed it two vws. i just loved having a FULL size car, 16.08 1/4 mile totaly stock 4200lbs. the 300 would blow cadys off like nothing, but i had a time with the pontiac grand prix gs, but the non gs i could beat easy. we build a 59 ply wagon with a 392 hemi. my dad kept raceing GTOs but couldnt beat them. i finaly told him you cant give away 1000 lbs and beat them. enuf living in the past

:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny

i have to admit theres no school like old school most of what i learned was from people who had to fix it yourself because there was no one else to do it

·
Registered
527 Posts
moe in wichita ks
my dad said that to set the points on a model A he had to barrow a thin dime, and had to walk across town to barrow it.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.