DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan with 205,000 miles on it. It has a new tranny, all new tires, new radiator,new dual fan assembly,new blower motor assembly and many other parts replaced. Within the last few months it has been overheating and now blowing white smoke. I have been told its either a blown head gasket or cracks in the block.Would it be worth it to keep the vehicle and replace with a rebuilt engine or just junk it?
Also, I have used a liquid product to supposedly fix blown head gaskets/cracks.I just put it in 2 days ago and havent driven it yet, but it idles better and doesnt blow any smoke from what I have seen in my driveway. Do you think this is just a quick fix?
I appreciate any advice you may have!
Thanks
John

·
Registered
314 Posts
Its a temporary fix at best, it may last a few weeks, months, but unless you have the problem repaired it will still be there.

I would think its a blown head gasket, if your a DIY its not that hard to replace, even if you have a garage repair it, its not to expensive.

Cheers
Chet.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
a cylinder leakdown test should tell you whether your problem is a cracked block or cylinder head gaskets or cracked cylinder head(s)

do it yourself or have it done

if the body is in good shape and the transmission is good, and the problem is with the head(S), and if you are a gearhead, you can probably put on a pair of re-man or re-built heads for not too much money and get a good many more miles out of the vehicle

If the problem is a cracked block, and you are still a gearhead, you can swap in a used engine from the "automotive recyclers" and get more miles out of the vehicle for not a huge amount of money

both of these ideas are based however on you:
having the knowledge of what you are doing
having the necessary tools or having access to them
having a place to do the job

end of sermon

·
Registered
194 Posts
acton mike said:
it is never cheap to pay to get anything done,
Buit the repair that our friend may be facing is one which an competent home mechanic can do and save a bundle to boot
I couldn't agree more. It was the first major job I attempted as a novice parts swapper. It was burnt exhaust valves in my case, but every thing got replaced in the heads and the gaskets too. I bought a Sears Craftsman tool box set and a torque wrench, which I still have. It's been one of the best investments I made over the time period.
Plus it's that great feeling of accomplishment when it's fixed and you saved all that labor money too.
As always, good luck with your project!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.