DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Probably with in a week I hope to install the iPod adapter in my truck. I didn’t want to chance head units so I had to order this kit from Dodge. Should be here next week some time.

Any way… Ever since I got my truck, I’ve never been to worried about it sound system, since its mostly a work truck. But I find my self using it more and more for personal use. Some time in December the wife and I will be headed to Alaska to see some friends. We’ll be taking a friends camper, so that means the truck is coming too.

With that long of a drive, the radio will be getting used. And upgrading the sound system mite be some thing I will do before than. I’ve installed a JL audio system in my Jeep. The only difference was, I didn’t have the RB1 Nav unit in my Jeep. Still looking for one… Heres a link to the system I did on my Jeep. http://www.wjjeeps.com/jlaudio.htm

The only difference between my Dodge and my Jeep’s audio system as far as I can tell is the CAN Bus / PCI Bus system. But I don’t see that being a problem. Changing head units isn’t an option, so I hope the CAN Bus system won’t stop me where right here…

I’m really happy with JLs stuff. Sounds great. I’d like to maybe use the same components in my truck. I’m all ready familiar with them, and I can pick them up locally with out to much trouble. So what sized speakers are in these trucks? I assume the door speaker will be the same, and possibly 2.5” tweeters in the dash?

I like to really research some thing before I do it. I’d like to see what other members have done and their thoughts on systems. I don’t want a window shacking system, just some thing that bring out the highs and lows much better, and doing it while sounding better as well. Where’d be the best place to install the amps? Behind the rear seats? If I go though with this, I’d like to have a very clean and hidden look. At least as much as possible any way.

Thanks
Ross

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
with the infinity system you have an amp behind the glovebox, 6x9 components in the door, 3" speakers in the dash corners, a single 2" Center channel in the dash, and 5.25" 2ways in the rear from the factory

6.5's will fit in the rear of most, it's hit or miss from what I've seen

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Guess I’m going to have to rip off the door panels to see what will really work. And the stock amp is behind the glovebox? WTF. I wanta know what fool thought that up.

How about a sub? I like what Tankem did here: LINK. Any one have any other ideas on where to stick a sub? Don’t need any thing huge, just some thing with a little more kick.

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
look up the hotbox that is the same box that you have posted a link to it will match the intirior and you will nt be able to tell that it is there. i think they are about $150 plus shipping, i have one w/ a jl 10w0 in it but you can get them in 10's or 12's good luck and the hot box will really give you the kick your looking for.

·
Semper Fi
283 Posts
Ok my 2 cents... (Deep Breath)
I have a JL Audio system in my truck. I was looking for mainly the same thing as you. I wanted a stealth install but something that you could hear. Clean and Clear. I was also looking to make the little turds that drive the rattle box's around town hang thier head in shame. Installing with a factory head unit isn't too tough. You can use a line-out convertor to get rca's for the amp or amps as the case my entail. I would place the amps behind the rear seat and under the drivers seat if you have two.. I spent about 3 days looking and test fitting my system with all the interior out. I have the Hot box installed in my truck and I love it as do most of those who have them. I have one JL Audio 10w6v2 in mine. You can tell there is something different in the front seats if you are fimilar with the rams. I have JL Audio components in the front and I have alpines in the rear both are 6.5's. I went with the alpines because they didn't have JL Audio's in 6.5 and my dealer wasn't sure they would be able to get them in the time I needed them. I have 2 JL Audio amps running in my truck also. a 500/1 and a 300/4. You could go with a 500/5 to get all of it done with one amp if you like. I have pics in my gallery if you are interested in seeing it all installed. If I can give you any more info shoot me a pm..

Malakai

·
jokersHEMI
615 Posts
Here are some photos of my system, I managed to get 6.5" speakers in the rear doors though. Look up Joe Fox on this forum he is a member and sells the box that I have and highly recommend

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Joker

Also did you wire your speakers directly from your doors to your amps? If so is there a a thread somewhere that you know of that provides some instruction details as to how to get the door panels and how to easiest way to wire the speakers off etc.?

·
jokersHEMI
615 Posts
The aluminum dash is a product sold by slammed 1, he is a member on here. The a/c faceplate is from an ebayvender just do a search on there. The old one peeled off and the new one is a peel and stick thing. My door speakers I kept wired just to the radio, for now, because it puts out around 30 watts or 50 max and it's ok for now. I will be getting a JL 300/4 or 450/4 soon for that. These door panels are probably the easiest to remove that I have ever seen. Remove inner door handle, remove the big screw behind the ddor panel, there are two small screws on the bottom edge of the front panels, after that lift straight up and pull out, unplug the power locks and windows! As far as running amp wires I would run them from the amp to the existing wires behind the radio, a lot easier than running them all through the doors and crap! Let me know if there is anything else!

·
jokersHEMI
615 Posts
no problem, glad we have these places to help each other!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any one got any advice as to how to remove the trim to install and "wire" aftermarket speakers to my amp? I would rather not take the easy way out and tap into the deck speaker wires. I want to use 16 gauge wire. I have an 04 Quad Cab SLT going to a two channel amp (kfx 450.2 by kicker)

·
jokersHEMI
615 Posts
Bill Lawrence said:
Please be aware: If you use JL amplifiers, you WILL get that HISSSSS during zero-bit parts of your music, and between tracks on the CDs.
You must mean if you use a JL amp on the mid range speakers? Because I get no hiss from My JL sub amp

·
Registered
27 Posts
ya you need to.. or else the box will not fit.. couple car audio places said I should plug up those ports .. Not sure if anyone has tried that yet..The box does deliever loud bass. You will usually get more accurate bass with a sealed box

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just thought I would mention that I have used the 500/1 and 300/4 in my own vehicles for about the last 4 years and love them and have no hiss or noise at all, I have put in quite a few jl amps in others vehicles and have never really noticed this either and if I did it was usually a ground issue, or fixed by switching to a better cd player with better pre outs. Just my two cents on jl amps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.