DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a steering column pod and an Autometer tranny temp gauge on Tuesday night. Got it this afternoon. Thats quick. Plus got a free hat. Got my Hypertech in today too. Truck add ons did me right on the price for that one. Saved $115 and got free shipping. Now if I can con the wife into letting me buy a CAI with all the money I saved................

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
I've always been happy with Jegs, and Summit for that matter.

I have the steering pod for my trans temp gauge too if you have any questions.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you get the autometer pod as well. I have the Z series gauge and even cutting the studs down I think I will need a shoehorn to get the gauge and mounting plate to fit inside of it. It seems like the mounting plate is a shade to big for the pod.

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
I havent actually delt with jegs, because Summit normally has the cheaper price and will beat any competitors price... but im sure jegs has very good service too.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Well with Summit so far, With prices and delivery b4 they said they would on 3 orders so far, I give it to Summit. I also love my Trans Temp Gauge with the steering wheel cowl, pretty slick. I got install a cai and cat-back tomarrow morning-lol-well at least they sent me a hat!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will have to check out Summit if they have better prices. Maybe I can buy more stuff. If I can hide it from the wife :bman:

·
Registered
518 Posts
To tell you the truth, there a few cents cheaper"like 4 cents". I still like their customer service and delivery. I'm suprised Summit don't buy out Jegs!! Sorry Jegs fans but they do have to spopnsor their drag car.

·
BLACK
1,343 Posts
Have to give my vote to Summit too. They are always helpful, the shipping is fast and I haven't found too many other sites that can beat their prices.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I like summit due to their selection because I think they carry a lot more parts than jegs, and a lot more for mopar (jegs seems to be obsessed with chevy and ford) and I like summit has their website set up. Prices are like 4 cents cheaper at summit as previously stated, and I think Summit just raised their Handling charge to like 9.95 or something like that.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
MonkeyBomb said:
Did you get the autometer pod as well. I have the Z series gauge and even cutting the studs down I think I will need a shoehorn to get the gauge and mounting plate to fit inside of it. It seems like the mounting plate is a shade to big for the pod.
I have the AutoMeter Z-Series part #2640 - 2 1/16" gauge. I picked it because it came the closest to matching the look of the stock gauges. The gauge pod I used is a Autometer steering column pod part #15012. They fit together good, but it is a tight fit for sure. I remember I needed to cut the ends of the studs down considerably. I also taped all my wires together in one bundle from the gauge all the way into the dash. That made it easier to run the wires in the tiny space left in the gauge pod, and easier to route them to the dash without being seen.

The pod comes with two mounting options. The first is double sided tape. I tried it, and because there is not much room for your wires inside the pod, the pod would not stay down (the tape just wasn't strong enough and the wires kept pushing it upwards). So I ended up using the second mounting option which is the little plastic hole pins. You drill 2 tiny holes on each side of the pod, and into your steering column (while pushing down on the guage pod so it is nice and level). Then you push these plastic hole pins into the holes. They hold everything in place really nice, and they don't really look that bad. I figure if I ever take the pod off, I will just save the hole pins and put them into the holes in my steering column after the pod is removed. If you use these, be careful when you drill the holes so you don't go too deep and get into something inside the steering column. Just want to go enough to get through the plastic, and no more.

These aren't very good pictures, just what I found on my computer. I can take some more if you want different angles or up close on anything. In the bottom picture, it looks like the gauge pod does not match the steering column in color/shade. That is just a light trick. The texture of the pod is slightly different then the texture of the steering column, so more light from my flash is being reflected off the pod plastic in that picture. In reallity, it practically looks like it came from the factory.

Attachments

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
I like how Summit lets you search by vehicle type (year, make, model). That is a nice feature, and you can save that vehicle for searches later. I have also been able to get Summit to drop-ship me items direct from the suppliers to get things to me faster (like for items that say not available for shipment for several weeks). I have 3 Summit hats. Seems like they send me one about every 3-5 orders.

·
BLACK
1,343 Posts
Is that a really big fuel gauge in the place of the tach? I have never seen that before. Was that a factory delete or something?

·
Banned
324 Posts
You guy's can give us a try. We carry all of the same parts that Summit does. We will at least match, if not beat their prices also! I think that you will also find our customer service and shipping just as good if not better than theirs.....at least customer service, shipping will be pretty much the same.

One more thing, we also sponsor this fine board and love to help the DT members.

Give us a shot, I think you will like it!!

Thanks,
Brad

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Off_Road_Teach said:
Is that a really big fuel gauge in the place of the tach? I have never seen that before. Was that a factory delete or something?
Ya it is, and I sure wish I had a tach instead. I thought it was just an automatic trans thing, but now I have seen other auto trucks with a tach. My truck is unusual in the interior anyway. It has nothing basically. No power anything, no carpet (which I actually prefer), no frills at all. It's the anti-SLT.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Thanks for the info Stripper. I will have to check your stuff out.
I usually use Mancini or Summit and sometimes Northern Auto Parts.
Mancini last I checked was $70 less for the Hypertech than Summit or Jegs.
I am thinking that is my next purchase for my van.

Stripper, Do you have a Dodge Talk discount?
That is another reason I use Mancini is because they offer a discount for the board I frequent most.

·
Kilroy
544 Posts
75 Power Wagon said:
I havent actually delt with jegs, because Summit normally has the cheaper price and will beat any competitors price... but im sure jegs has very good service too.
i have to agree, always found summit to be the best for performance parts but for OEM parts i have been using rockauto.com recently even with the shipping their prices work out better than buying most of my parts locally

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.