DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my truck back. I had purchased the JBA shorty headers a few months ago. I got the shortys cause thats whats supposed to help in the low rev range versus long tubes which help air flow at high revs. After putting on my 37"s my truck started getting about 9mpg in the city and around 11 highway. Tonight on the way home (mostly highway with a few stop lights) I got 15.5mpg according to the truck! Instead of the truck down shifting up little hills and trying to find the right gear at certain speeds it now just cruises like it's supposed to!

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
so obviously you can see a difference, but how does it feel? how noticeable is it, and in what range, ect?

Some pictures wouldn't hurt either I suppose, how much of the exhaust needs to be modified

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At 1500 to 2200 rpms the truck just feels like it has enough grunt to stay and gear and keep accelerating. I'll get pics in the morning or late tonight.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
* subscribe *

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
:rck: so it's all low end then? :drivingz: You didn't loose any top end though did you?

·
Registered
956 Posts
I don't think you are going to get 4.5 mpg gain by inst. headers..check it manually...if it was that easy...every car - out of Detroit would have headers... to placate the greenies..:D

·
RedMan
2,487 Posts
What is the part umber on those headers, I was thinking about getting some my self, after the snorkel.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Headers and exhaust system is the only modification that I'm seriously considering right now, keep us posted.

I'm not doubting you, but I've always heard it was long tube headers that you need for low end torque. Shortys would be a lot easier to install.

·
..::MOOSE::..
1,580 Posts
SOLD!!! Get me a contact or P/N!!:D

·
Power Wagon Winch Mob
3,937 Posts
I think it's possibly the computer settling in, especially if they had unplugged the battery to do the work. Drive it for a few days, and if you can, combine highway and local so the computer settles out to get a better reading. I remember when I first changed the tires out it was reading 15, then it slowly settled down to mid-9s.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I don't think you are going to get 4.5 mpg gain by inst. headers..check it manually...if it was that easy...every car - out of Detroit would have headers... to placate the greenies..:D
true the numbers are a little high but im sure he still gained quite a bit. most cars aren't packin 37" tires, road armor front bumper, rock rails and winch recovery kit either

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Is the rest of the exhaust stock ???

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Not true; Detroit is looking for ways to save factions of a penny. What do you thing the cost of a set of header versus a cheap block a case iron is going to cost?

:)

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
I just got my truck back. I had purchased the JBA shorty headers a few months ago. I got the shortys cause thats whats supposed to help in the low rev range versus long tubes which help air flow at high revs. After putting on my 37"s my truck started getting about 9mpg in the city and around 11 highway. Tonight on the way home (mostly highway with a few stop lights) I got 15.5mpg according to the truck! Instead of the truck down shifting up little hills and trying to find the right gear at certain speeds it now just cruises like it's supposed to!
Drive it for a week to see how everything reacts with the new headers. :tup: I had JBA's on my '99 Ram. Which ones did you get. The coated or stainless?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The shop did disconnect the battery, hopefully that wasn't a fluke seeing my mpg. I already have Airaid filter and tube, airaid throttle body spacer, gibson exhaust and if I remember correctly a magnaflow Y pipe welded in. So the shorty headers almost completes the air handling for the engine. I had already tried universal high flow magnaflow catalytic converters but I couldn't get rid of the codes to get the truck inspected. I will keep my eyes out for a specific set of cats for the truck that are CARB compliant. If the mpg goes down again I'm gonna be let down cause I'm really excited about the mpg!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
These are the best pics I could get. I'm really glad I didn't have to install them! It's tight!
Pics from underneath;

Pics from wheel wells;

pics from engine bay

·
Power Wagon Winch Mob
3,937 Posts
The shop did disconnect the battery, hopefully that wasn't a fluke seeing my mpg. I already have Airaid filter and tube, airaid throttle body spacer, gibson exhaust and if I remember correctly a magnaflow Y pipe welded in. So the shorty headers almost completes the air handling for the engine. I had already tried universal high flow magnaflow catalytic converters but I couldn't get rid of the codes to get the truck inspected. I will keep my eyes out for a specific set of cats for the truck that are CARB compliant. If the mpg goes down again I'm gonna be let down cause I'm really excited about the mpg!
I was just relating my experience with a change over. As Rusty said, just drive it around a week and see what happens.

Curios, you have a Gibson with a Magnaflow Y pipe. I thought with headers and each side with a cat, could you have ran that into a true dual?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess I could have run it into a true dual and done an X pipe too. It just didn't work out that way. Interesting thought. About the mileage. I'm thinking it is also premature to jump to conclusions. I'll have to wait and see. I'm going to fill up today so I can get some numbers soon.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts